Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, December 29, 2014

REVIEW: "Say Yes to the Marquess" by Tessa Dare


Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
Say Yes to the Marquess by Tessa Dare
(Castles Ever After #2)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Avon -- Published on December 30, 2014
Ebook, 384 pages
Read in December 2014
Received from Edelweiss

SUMMARY
Your presence is requested at romantic Twill Castle for the wedding of Miss Clio Whitmore and . . . and . . . ?

After eight years of waiting for Piers Brandon, the wandering Marquess of Granville, to set a wedding date, Clio Whitmore has had enough. She's inherited a castle, scraped together some pride, and made plans to break her engagement.

Not if Rafe Brandon can help it. A ruthless prizefighter and notorious rake, Rafe is determined that Clio will marry his brother—even if he has to plan the dratted wedding himself.

So how does a hardened fighter cure a reluctant bride's cold feet?

● He starts with flowers. A wedding can't have too many flowers. Or harps. Or cakes.

● He lets her know she'll make a beautiful, desirable bride—and tries not to picture her as his.

● He doesn't kiss her.

● If he kisses her, he definitely doesn't kiss her again.

● When all else fails, he puts her in a stunning gown. And vows not to be nearby when the gown comes off.

● And no matter what—he doesn't fall in disastrous, hopeless love with the one woman he can never call his own.



FIRST LINE
"Oh, Miss Whitmore.  Just look at this horrid place."

MY THOUGHTS
Tessa Dare continues to impress me with her historical romances.  They are so much fun without ever feeling cheesy or over-the-top.  Say Yes To The Marquess is an adorable love story that can be read a stand-alone since the only thing connecting it to Romancing the Duke is the fact that both heroines inherit a castle that changes their lives.

The heroine has been dubbed as Miss  Clio "Wait-More" due to the fact that her betrothed has spent the past eight years on the continent rather going through with the wedding.  Now that she has inherited Twill Castle, Clio is determined to build a life of her own and break the engagement.  Her fiance's brother, Rafe, is a former champion prizefighter who has abandoned his title and his family yet feels obligated to protect Clio until Piers returns.  Things gets more difficult when he learns about Clio's plans and he does everything he can to make her excited about getting married.

Tessa Dare excels at providing readers with likable and intelligent characters. Clio has become a joke among the ton due to her extended engagement and, while she feels humiliated by the whole situation, she doesn't let it show.  I always have a soft spot for the outcast heroine, but what I loved best about her was her unflinching desire to have an independent life.  For his part, Rafe Brandon stole a place in my heart.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about him when I found out he was a famous prizefighter, but he was just a big teddy bear!  He struggled in the more intellectual pursuits of the day and turned to fighting to find something he actually was good at.  The balance of the big bad fighter and the vulnerable hero was well-done and very sweet.

Clio and Rafe had obvious chemistry from the beginning and it was fabulous to see them discover the feelings that had been in hiding for so long.  I loved all the little moments where they were "working" on wedding details that allowed them to learn more about each other.  Forbidden romances always have that extra suspense and Say Yes To The Marquess was no exception.  As Piers's return came closer, I found myself wondering how in the world there would be a happily ever after, but Ms. Dare did not let me down.

I always finish a Tessa Dare book with a smile on my face and this one continued the tradition.  I just found it to be so light-hearted yet full of powerful emotions.  I also have to give a shout-out to Rafe's trainer, Bruiser, Clio's genius younger sister, and Ellingsworth the bulldog.  The Castles Ever After series is growing into another successful series for this author that is writing at the top of her game.

I received a free copy of this book from Avon via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 STARS



STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

FAVORITE QUOTES

  • Rafe opened his mouth to question this plan.  Then he caught himself.  Instead, he took a seat in the benches and stared numbly forward, trying to understand how he, the infamous Devil's Own, had arrived at this moment in his life: sitting in a chapel, in a storybook castle near Charming-Something, Kent, possessing opinions on bunting. Good God.  Word of this could never escape these walls.
  • She took his hand and kissed it, "I love you.   And I understand if it's difficult for you to believe that fully today.  But it's just as well.  It's a short little phrase. I can repeat it as many times as it takes.  You can practice taking i the way you take jabs."  She raised her fists the way he'd taught her and boxed his shoulder.  "I love you.  I love you."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Romancing the Duke
2. Say Yes to the Marquess
3. When a Scot Ties the Knot (Coming 2015)

2 comments:

  1. "I just found it to be so light-hearted yet full of powerful emotions." That is exactly the perfect description of Dare's books, and the type of books I love the most. I'm so glad you loved this. Rafe really was just a big teddy bear, wasn't he? I'm already anxiously awaiting the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review hun!! I also adored this book, and I think it might be one of my favorites of her books...but that is really hard to say because there are so many I love...but I have really enjoyed what she is doing with this series, especially with the cute and fun animals she puts in place.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.