Wednesday, November 12, 2014

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "Innocent in Death" by JD Robb

Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)
Innocent in Death by JD Robb; Narrated by Susan Ericksen
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, Violence)
Romantic Suspense

Putnam Adult -- Published in February 2007
Audiobook, 12 hours and 38 minutes
Read in October 2014
Purchased from Audible

THEMES
Murder Mystery, Kick Ass Heroine, Secondary Romance

SUMMARY
New York Lieutenant Eve Dallas doesn't like to see innocent people murdered. And the death of Craig Foster is clearly a murder. He was seemingly ordinary history teacher, but uncovers some extraordinary surprises. Foster's death devastated his young wife, who'd sent him to work that day with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the private school, too, and as for the ten-year-old girls who found him in his classroom in a pool of bodily fluids-they may have been traumatized for life.

Eve soon determines that Foster's homemade lunch was tainted with deadly ricin, and that Mr. Foster's colleagues have some startling secrets of their own. It's Eve's job to sort it out- and discover why someone would have done this to a man who seemed so inoffensive, so pleasant... so innocent.

Now Magdalena Percell... there's someone Eve can picture as a murder victim. Possibly at Eve's own hands. The slinky blonde-an old flame of her billionaire husband, Roarke-has arrived in New York, and she's anything but innocent. Roarke seems blind to Magdalena's manipulation, and he insists that the occasional lunch or business meeting with her is nothing to worry about... and none of Eve's business. Consumed by her jealousy--and Roarke's indifference to it, she is unnerved by the situation that she finds it hard to focus on her case. Still, she'll have to put aside her feelings, for a while at least-because another man has just turned up dead.

Eve knows all too well that innocence can be a facade. Keeping that in mind may help her solve this case at last. But it may also tear apart her marriage.


FIRST LINE
"Pop quizzes were killers."

MY THOUGHTS
Anyone who reads my blog or follows me on Goodreads knows that I have been steadily working my way through the In Death series this year.  While I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every single one and given them either 4 or 4.5 star reviews for the most part, I hadn't yet found one that ranked 5 stars for me.  Well, that finally happened when I got deep into the twenty-fourth installment, Innocent in Death.  It had everything that I wanted from this series and I am still thinking about it almost two weeks later.

At first, things seem to be fairly routine for homicide cop Eve Dallas and her partner, Delia Peabody.  They are investigating the mysterious death of a private school teacher in his classroom.  Then they start to realize that poor Mr. Foster was poisoned by the very lunch that he brought in from home.  This causes Eve and Peabody to check out everyone associated with this man including the teachers and administrators of the elite school.  Murder investigations always seem to bring out people's secrets and that definitely happens with this one.

I loved how complex this case became.  Readers are given a victim who was, by all accounts, completely innocent and just starting a happy life with his new wife.  At first, I felt like there was no body who could have wished him harm, but then I started to wonder if there was anybody who couldn't have killed him.  Eve and Peabody had to use every tool in their arsenal to finally figure out the truth and it was a doozy.  I don't want to get much deeper into it to avoid spoilers, but I want to say that I was shocked and I'm interested to see what repercussions there will be for the series because of it.

While the investigation was one of the best, the personal side story really helped elevate the book to 5 stars.  Roarke and Eve have been married for about a year and a half and are pretty comfortable with their life.  Eve knows that Roarke was far from a saint in his past and it has never bothered her before.  But, then Magdalena shows up and everything is thrown off balance.  She is a former lover of Roarke's who has moved to the city and seems eager to start things back up again.

My heart broke so many times for Eve in this book.  She is comfortable with who she is and knows that Roarke loves her, but Magdalena's manipulations are very threatening to her.  It doesn't help that Roarke seems to have a blind spot when it comes to her.  For most of the series, Roarke has felt like the perfect husband with his looks, money, kindness, and devotion.  So it was a bit of shock to know that he could do stupid things just like any other person.  Eve is not used to being jealous and she spends time terrified that her happy life is coming to an end.  Thankfully, things do get resolved and I wanted to cheer when Eve finally confronted Magdalena for all the trouble she caused.

So, it is pretty obvious that I adored Innocent in Death.  There was nothing that I would change about the way the investigation moved along and the problems with Eve and Roarke's marriage.  The characters are what truly make this series and I think there will be some changes to them after this.  Susan Ericksen's narration was wonderful and I really loved the way that she portrayed in this installment, both powerful and vulnerable.  Highly recommended!    



5 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.


FAVORITE QUOTE
“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
There are too many to show here, but I'm providing a link to the Goodreads listing and the listing from JD Robb's website.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome that this was such a hit for you. It's tough with series, I think, after awhile to LOVE them. I am definitely going to give this series a try. I know they are set in the future. Is it really creepy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are creepier than others...every case is different. JD Robb doesn't go overboard with the descriptions, but she does make sure that readers understand how dangerous Eve's job is. I hope you try it soon!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.