Friday, November 21, 2014

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "Eternity in Death" by JD Robb

Eternity in Death (In Death, #24.5)
Eternity in Death by JD Robb; Narrated by Susan Ericksen
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, Violence)
Romantic Suspense -- Futuristic New York

Berkeley -- Published in 2007
Audiobook, 3 hours and 27 minutes
Read in November 2014
Purchased from Audible

THEMES
Murder Mystery, Kick-Ass Heroine

SUMMARY
When notorious it-girl Tiara Kent is found dead in her plush Manhattan apartment, the murder looks to everyone like a vampire attack - everyone but the ever-practical Lieutenant Eve Dallas.  As cops begin carrying garlic and the hysteria spreads, Eve must act fast.  When they discover Tiara had a secret lover, a Dark Prince, things take a deadly turn, leading Eve and her team on a chase into the darkest corners of the city and deep into their own fears.

FIRST LINE
"Death was the end of the party."

MY THOUGHTS
This was a fun little story that had Eve Dallas going up against a self-proclaimed vampire.  Things get creepy when a famous socialite is murdered in her bed with bite marks on her neck.  Eve and her partner, Peabody, are then thrust into the underworld of New York City as they investigate a "vampire" club.

I am a huge fan of vampire-themed stories so I was excited to see the pragmatic Eve deal with the potential for paranormal antics.  It was interesting how JD Robb made the culprit pretty obvious from the beginning yet I still felt the suspense element while listening.  I knew that Eve would get the "Dark Prince", but I wasn't sure how she would be able to prove it.  And she kicked some major ass while doing so.  One should never underestimate what Eve will do to get justice.

On the more personal side of the series, Eve is forced (once again) to deal with demons from her past.  The main suspect strongly reminds her of her dead father in his mannerisms which causes the nightmares to make a re-appearance.  I thought I would get tired of this plot point by now, but I still find it interesting.  Eve is such a tough woman that these types of situations show that she is still human.  Vulnerability isn't something she deals with well and I always look forward to seeing how she has grown to accept that part of her personality.  And it doesn't hurt that Roarke is always there to help her in anyway possible.

Susan Ericksen does a killer narration as always and JD Robb provides readers with a short, but entertaining look into the world of Eve and her friends.  While I think the books in this series work best when read in order, this one could be read as a stand-alone to fans of vampire books that want to give it a try.

4 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.


FAVORITE QUOTE
"I didn't want to tell you I'd been scared, much less why.  I guess that was stupid."
"It was."
"Aren't you supposed to say something like 'no, it wasn't.  Blah, blah, support, stroke, let me get you some chocolate'?"
"You haven't red the marriage handbook's footnotes.  It's another woman who does that sort of thing.  I believe I'm allowed to be more blunt, then ask if you'd like a quick shag."
"Shag yourself."


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
There are too many to show here, but I'm providing a link to the Goodreads listing and the listing from JD Robb's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.