Monday, September 29, 2014

REVIEW: "What a Wallflower Wants" by Maya Rodale

What a Wallflower Wants (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #3)
What a Wallflower Wants by Maya Rodale
(Bad Boys and Wallflowers #3)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, One Scene of Sexual Violence)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Avon -- Published on September 30, 2014
Ebook, 384 pages
Read in September 2014
Received from Edelweiss

THEMES
Beta Hero, Tormented Heroine

SUMMARY
Miss Prudence Merryweather Payton has a secret...

Everyone knows that she's the only graduate from her finishing school to remain unwed on her fourth season—but no one knows why. With her romantic illusions shattered after being compromised against her will, Prudence accepts a proposal even though her betrothed is not exactly a knight in shining armor. When he cowardly pushes her out of their stagecoach to divert a highwayman, she vows never to trust another man again.

John Roark, Viscount Castleton, is nobody's hero...

He's a blue-eyed charmer with a mysterious past and ambitious plans for his future—that do not include a wife. When he finds himself stranded at a country inn with a captivating young woman, a delicate dance of seduction ensues. He knows he should keep his distance. And he definitely shouldn't start falling in love with her.

When Prudence's dark past comes back to haunt her, John must protect her—even though he risks revealing his own secrets that could destroy his future.


FIRST LINE
"Are you there, God?  'Tis I, Prudence."

MY THOUGHTS
I thought this was a decent conclusion to a series I have really come to enjoy.  In the first two books of the series, readers have seen Prudence Payton sit by quietly as her best friends find true love and happiness.  It soon became obvious that something was keeping Prudence from hunting for a husband like most young ladies in this time period.  What a Wallflower Wants provides readers with an explanation for her discomfort with society and gives her the opportunity to show how strong of a character she is.

I have had a soft spot for Prudence from the beginning so I was excited to read her story.  I love how Maya Rodale portrayed her character.  She did not back away from the ugliness of the past, but also made sure that it didn't define Prudence.  There was so much to admire about Prudence with her kindness, her intelligence, and her strength which wasn't obvious to most people including her.

John Roark was the perfect person to help Prudence regain her confidence.  He is a charming lord who comes upon Prudence while she is walking towards an inn in a downpour.  I loved how he was able to tell that she had to complete this journey on her own, but was willing to do anything to help her once she arrived.  John just had a gentle and fun-loving personality that helped bring Prudence out of her shell without having any expectations beyond friendship.  There were definitely some unexpected elements to his character that I enjoyed reading about as the book moved along.

My main issue with What a Wallflower Wants was the fact that I thought the romance developed too fast.  It is a "cabin romance" which is a theme that I enjoy so I understood the reasoning behind the quick turnaround.  I guess I just wanted the aftermath of being stranded at the inn to give Prudence and John more time to develop as a couple.  I thought they were a cute couple, but insta-love just isn't something that I enjoy reading about so I had to lower the rating of the book overall.

I have been a fan of Maya Rodale's writing since her debut back in 2007 so I was super happy to see cameos of characters from her Writing Girls and Negligent Chaperone books.  Seeing Lord Huntley return and show how much he has changed since The Rogue and the Rival was a true delight.  I also liked that the appearances did not seem cliched or unreasonable for the situation at hand.

While there were definitely parts that disappointed me, I am pretty happy with the way the Bad Boys and Wallflowers series ended.  The three heroines were easy to relate to and I wanted them to be happy.  I definitely look forward to what Maya Rodale comes up with next.

I received a free copy of this book from Avon via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic. 

FAVORITE QUOTE
"That was the truth, wasn't it?  Everyone had their flaws and exhausted themselves trying to hide them.  Nothing was perfect."

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree with everything you said. I just struggled really believing in their romance. I wanted that to develop me and it never really did. But I will definitely be reading more Maya Rodale books!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.