Sunday, August 10, 2014

THEMES AND TROPES: Fairy Tale Rellings

This is part of a new (irregular) feature I'm going to be doing on my blog.  Basically, I am going to be focusing one a specific theme (or trope) that I have found in my years as a voracious reader/blogger.  I love finding commonalities between my favorite books and how that helps define me as a reader.  These won't be released on a regular schedule, but just appear randomly.

The first one is going to focus on FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS (!) and is organized by the tale that is being focused on.  Please note that this is a list of both YA and adult stories so pay attention to the genre information.  Also, while I wish I could say that I have read and recommend all of these, there just isn't enough time in the day.  I am providing links to any reviews I have published for these retellings and will put a note if I have read it.  

Enjoy and let me know if I missed one of your favorites and I'll add it!


BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Winter Garden by Adele Ashworth (historical romance) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
When She Said I Do by Celeste Bradley (historical romance) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
How Beauty Met the Beast by Jax Garren (urban fantasy) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
Gerard's Beauty by Marie Hall (fantasy romance)
Beauty and the Beast by Hannah Howell (historical romance) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Beast by Judith Ivory (historical romance) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James (historical romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros (historical romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
The Bride and the Beast by Teresa Medeiros (historical romance) -- I rated it 3 Stars.
Breath of Life by Christine Pope (science fiction romance)
Ravished by Amanda Quick (historical romance) -- I rated it 3.5 Stars.
Lover Awakened by JR Ward (paranormal romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (YA fantasy)
Beastly by Alex Flinn (YA fantasy) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison (YA fantasy)
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (YA paranormal)
Spirited by Nancy Holder (YA historical)
Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay (YA science fiction)
Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (YA fantasy)
Beauty by Robin McKinley (YA fantasy) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (YA fantasy)

CINDERELLA
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James (historical romance) -- I rated it 3 Stars.
The Forbidden Lord by Sabrina Jeffries (historical romance) -- I rated it 3 Stars.
The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (fantasy romance)
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (fantasy) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
Charming the Prince by Teresa Medeiros (historical romance) -- I rated it 3 Stars.
An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn (historical romance) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
Cinder by Marie Sexton (male/male fantasy) -- I rated it 3.5 Stars.
The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry (YA fantasy)
Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey (YA fantasy)
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (YA fantasy)
Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (YA fantasy)
Gilded Ashes by Rosamand Hodge (YA paranormal)
Ash by Malinda Lo (YA fantasy)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (YA fantasy)
Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott (YA fantasy)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer (YA science fiction) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (YA fantasy)
Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (YA fantasy)
The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back by Sariah Wilson (YA contemporary) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (MG fantasy) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.

EAST OF THE SUN, WEST OF THE MOON
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst (YA fantasy)
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George (YA fantasy)
East by Edith Pattou (YA fantasy)

THE FROG PRINCE
The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker (YA fantasy) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
Cloaked by Alex Flinn (YA fantasy) -- I rated it DNF.
Enchanted by Althea Kontis (YA fantasy)
The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley (YA fantasy)
Water Song by Suzanne Weyn (YA fantasy)

THE GOOSE GIRL
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (YA fantasy)
Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl (YA fantasy)

HANSEL AND GRETEL
Bewitching by Alex Flinn (YA fantasy) 
Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs (YA fantasy)
Sweetly by Jackson Pearce (YA fantasy)

THE LITTLE MERMAID
Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama (YA fantasy)
September Girls by Bennett Madison (YA fantasy)
Fathomless by Jackson Pearce (YA fantasy)
Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon (YA fantasy)
Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie (YA fantasy)

LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD
Red and Her Wolf by Marie Hall (fantasy romance)
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (YA science fiction) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce (YA fantasy)
Scarlet Moon by Debbie Viguie (YA fantasy)
Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (YA fantasy)

THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA
The Duke is Mine by Eloisa James (historical romance) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars. 
Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguie (YA fantasy)

RAPUNZEL
Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James (historical romance) -- I rated it 4.5 Stars.
Golden by Cameron Dokey (YA fantasy)
Towering by Alex Flinn (YA fantasy)
My Name is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton (YA fantasy)
Cress by Marissa Meyer (YA science fiction) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Zel by Donna Jo Napoli (YA fantasy)
Sold for Endless Rue by Madeleine E. Robins (YA fantasy)

RUMPELSTILTSKIN
A Curse as Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce (YA fantasy)
Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli (YA fantasy)
The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn (YA fantasy)

SEVEN SWANS
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (YA fantasy)

SLEEPING BEAUTY
Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory (historical romance)
A Kiss to Remember by Teresa Medeiros (historical romance) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson (YA inspirational)
Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey (YA fantasy)
A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn (YA fantasy) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley (YA fantasy)
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (YA fantasy)
Slumber by Samantha Young (NA fantasy) -- I rated it 4 Stars.

SNOW QUEEN
Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce (YA fantasy)
Winter's Child by Cameron Dokey (YA fantasy)
Stork by Wendy Delsol (YA fantasy)

SNOW WHITE
The Rose and the Beast by Francesca Lia Block (YA fantasy)
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (YA fantasy)
Snow by Tracy Lynn (YA fantasy)
Nameless by Lili St. Crow (YA paranormal)

TWELVE DANCING PRINCESSES
The Phoenix Dance by Dia Calhoun (YA fantasy)
Entwined by Heather Dixon (YA fantasy)
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (YA fantasy)
Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (YA fantasy)
The Night Dance by Suzanne Weyn (YA fantasy)

UGLY DUCKLING
Once a Gentleman by Candice Hern (historical romance) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James (historical romance) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (contemporary romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn (historical romance) -- I rated it 5 Stars.

VARIETY OF FAIRY TALES
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani (MG fantasy) -- I rated it 4 Stars.
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy (MG fantasy) -- I rated it 4 Stars.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! I had no idea that there were so many retellings. This is a great reference list! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely seen a fairytale retellings around a lot in the last few years. That makes me happy, because I adore fairytale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this feature of yours! :) Thank you for all these titles. I have to get back to these lists to do a little research on which books I'll be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! I love retellings. Didn't realize how many there were. Especially Beauty and the Beast which is my favorite.

    And woot! Yay for new features of the irregular variety :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fairty Tale retellings are the best!!! Full of charm and sweet stories. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.