Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, August 25, 2014

REVIEW: "Once More, My Darling Rogue" by Lorraine Heath


Once More, My Darling Rogue (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #2)
Once More, My Darling Rogue by Lorraine Heath
(Dangerous Gentlemen of St. James #2)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Victorian England

Avon -- Published in August 26, 2014
Ebook, 384 pages
Read in August 2014
Received from Edelweiss

THEMES
Tortured Hero, Tormented Heroine

SUMMARY
Born to the street but raised within the aristocracy, Drake Darling can’t escape his sordid beginnings. Not when Lady Ophelia Lyttleton snubs him at every turn, a constant reminder he’s not truly one of them. But after rescuing her from a mysterious drowning he realizes she doesn’t remember who she is. With plans to bring her to heel, he insists she’s his housekeeper—never expecting to fall for the charming beauty.

While Ophelia might not recall her life before Drake, she has little doubt she belongs with him. The desire she feels for her dark, brooding employer can’t be denied, regardless of consequences. So when her memory returns, she is devastated by the depth of his betrayal. Now Drake must risk everything to prove she can trust this rogue with her heart once more.


FIRST LINE
"At times, Lady Ophelia Lyttleton found herself quite disgusted with those of her gender."

MY THOUGHTS
I adore Lorraine Heath's historicals and also really enjoyed the first book in her new Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James series.  This is a group of books that is a spin-off of her popular Scoundrels of St. James series and appears to be on its way to being just as fabulous.  I am always looking for a good hate-to-love romance so I was excited to try Once More, My Darling Rogue.

Drake Darling was first introduced to readers as young Peter Sykes in Surrender to the Devil when he was adopted by Frannie Darling and her soon-to-be husband Sterling Mabry, Duke of Greystone.  He has grown up quite a bit since that book and now manages the popular Dodger's Drawing Room gentlemen's club.  But, despite his elevated status, Drake is still uncomfortable in high society which isn't helped by Lady Ophelia's Lyttleton's treatment of him.  She does everything she can to make sure he remembers where he came from.  Therefore, when he rescues her from the river and discovers she has lost her memory, he decides to help take her down from her pedestal a bit.

I liked both Drake and Ophelia as individual characters and as a couple.  They both had difficult childhoods that they are trying to escape in very different ways.  Drake is obsessed with his management position and Ophelia is just biding her time in society until she is old enough to gain her inheritance.  They are extremely flawed as evidenced by Drake's grand scheme to trick Ophelia and her initial treatment of him.  Lorraine Heath does a great job showing the journey that each of them has to take in order to work as a romantic couple.  Some of my favorite scenes involved Ophelia trying to learn housekeeping skills while Drake felt guilty and impressed by her ingenuity.

The main issue that I had with Once More, My Darling Rogue was the length of time that Drake kept Ophelia's identity a secret from her.  I kinda understood why he wanted to embarrass her at the beginning, but, as time dragged on, I just got annoyed with him.  Ophelia did need to learn a lesson though I thought it went on way too long for my taste.

Overall, I did like this book.  I just wish that Drake had revealed the truth to Ophelia a bit earlier.  I continue to find the interaction with Feagan's children and their kids to be very interesting.  I am looking forward to seeing the debauched Duke of Avendale get his story very soon.

I received a free copy of this book from Avon via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. When the Duke Was Wicked
2. Once More, My Darling Rogue

CHALLENGES READ FOR



 



7 comments:

  1. Great review!! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. I am really loving the connection with this series to the St. James series. Definitely makes me want to do a re read of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely thinking of re-reading the prequels as well. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  2. I love historical romance stories, and I will definitely check out Once More My Darling Rogue :) Great review, Jennifer.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I would enjoy this book. It sounds like I wouldn't like Olivia very much. I don't have a lot of patience for snobby characters. But I'm glad you liked this for the most part, even if it isn't your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what the author was trying to do and there is a good reason for her attitude, but I just felt like it took too long for the truth to come out. Not my favorite, but still decent. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. She sounds like one I really do need to try. I think I'd probably be with you on holding her identity from her for so long. Glad to see it didn't ruin the book for you though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LH is one of my favorites. I think you would enjoy her Scoundrels of St. James series (the prequel to this series) which is a nice retelling of Oliver Twist. Also, if you like westerns, you can't go wrong with her Texas trilogy. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.