Tuesday, July 15, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Favorite TV Shows


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Top Ten TV Shows ~
I love TV and I don't talk about it much on this blog so I decided to focus on my favorite shows.  Besides #1, they are in random order.


1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Probably my all-time favorite show!  I started watching it in middle school and have been a devoted fan ever since.  I love everything about it from Buffy to the vampire mythology to the school drama to the romance.


2. Doctor Who
I've only been watching this for about a year, but am a obsessive Whovian now.  The Tenth Doctor is definitely my favorite though I like all of them.


3. Orphan Black
My current TV obsession!  I'm not always the biggest fan of sci-fi shows, but this clone thriller grabbed me from the beginning and hasn't let go yet.


4. Avatar: The Last Airbender
Not a live action show, but still amazing.  I really enjoy the strong female characters and the elemental aspects in the show.  The spin-off (The Legend of Korra) is pretty good as well.


5. Charmed
Another favorite show from my middle/high school days.  I loved the concept of three sister witches kicking demonic ass.  While the last season was really hard to get through, I lasted all eight seasons and still like to catch re-runs every once in awhile.


6. Downton Abbey
While this isn't the much-watch-right-now show that it was at the beginning, I still enjoy all the historical clothes and drama.  Plus Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess makes me giggle everytime.


7. The Big Bang Theory
I have been watching this geek meets girl sitcom since the beginning and, while some episodes are better than others, it never fails to make me laugh.  Plus I love the inclusion of female scientists like Amy and Bernadette in the past few years.


8. So You Think You Can Dance
I'm a former dancer so it should come as no shock that I adore this show.  I love seeing all the different styles (paso doble is my favorite) and discovering great music.


9. Big Brother
An absolute guilty pleasure that I become obsessed with every summer for some reason.  I normally hate shows like this, but I just can't look away from the backstabbing and blindsides.


10. Ouran High School Host Club
I was really into anime in high school and during undergrad.  While I haven't been keeping up with the genre lately, I always remember this hilarious school comedy that looks at class issues and gender roles in a fun way.

17 comments:

  1. Great list! I love Buffy (it's on my list to rewatch all the seasons sometime this year) and of course The Big Bang Theory and SYTYCD (though I cannot dance - at all). I also love Downton Abbey, though I didn't care for some of things that happened, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Anna/Bates storyline on DA kinda made me mad, but I still love the whole historical part. I need to do a Buffy re-watch soon...or I'll just go watched Once More With Feeling for the hundredth time. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved Charmed! Quite a lot of people have picked that one this week! :)

    I will have to check the other shows out! I have heard of them but I have never got round to them!

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I love The Big Bang Theory, as no matter how many times I watch an episode, I still laugh. And Buffy is one of my all-time faves! Talk about girl power! A little surprised to see Dr Who showing up on so many lists, but guess that just proves that we all have great taste! :)

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the BBT re-runs on TBS...I never get sick of them. We do all have great taste, don't we? I'm making a list of all the shows/movies I need to watch thanks to this week's lists.

      Delete
  4. Heck yeah Ten is the best Doctor. Although I do like them all, too. But David Tennant! I just adore him. Adore!!!!!!!!

    I love So You Think You Can Dance, too! My favorite dances are usually the contemporary - because it's the closest to ballet, which is my favorite.

    Love Big Bang Theory. And I've been thinking I need to watch Orphan Black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like Orphan Black especially for the strong female characters. Speaking of David Tennant, are you going to be watching his new show (Gracepoint)? I know it is an American rehash of Broadchurch that he did over in England. I'm not sure about him with an American accent...

      Delete
  5. Buffy! And Orphan Black...though I will not read your thoughts because I still have to catch up on Season 2! Avatar!!!! I mentioned it in passing today b/c of one of my beloved movies, lol. I'm going to start catching up on Korra today. I finished re-watching my DVD of S. 1 last week, and now I can dive into my first watch of S 2, since I missed it last year! OMG, and Host Club!!!! Though she didn't wind up with who I wanted her to. I'm like you; I haven't kept up...though I plan to watch Sailor Moon Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching Sailor Moon Crystal too! I have the manga and am enjoying the retelling of them. I liked S2 of Korra (not as much as 1), but 3 is *really* good so far. And Orphan Black is amazing, isn't it? I've been recommending it to everyone!

      Delete
  6. Great list, love that you threw in some anime in there too ;)

    My top ten

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful and eclectic mix of shows! My daughter (yes, the same one who's turning me into a Whovian) is also trying to get me to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. I should probably give Charmed a try, too, and eventually I'll get around to Downton Abbey because Maggie Smith is just that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter has great taste. :) Charmed is a little cheesy and the late 90s fashion is pretty funny, but the girl power element is great. I will warn you that Downton can be very addicting (especially season 1) so be prepared! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. The 90s fashion can't be that funny; I lived through it! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Me too. What makes it funnier for me is that I remember wanting to dress like them and now I watch re-runs and wonder about my sanity.

      Delete
  8. Doctor Who, Avatar: the Last Airbender and Big Bang Theory are like my absolute FAVORITE shows of all time (Ten!! ♥) - along with Sherlock, Supernatural & Merlin. I only started watching DW last year but I've rewatched the entire series (2005-up) a few times already XD And I agree with you, I LOVE the strong female characters in ATLA and the elemental stuff is just so cool. I love Korra too but I don't think it'll ever surpass the original series. And I think I only started watching BBT 3-4 years ago but you're right: it NEVER fails to make me laugh!

    Downton Abbey and Orphan Black are both on my watchlist. Awesome picks ^^

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched quite a few episodes of Merlin and really liked it. I need to get back to it. I also have Sherlock and Supernatural on my to be watched list. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
    2. Oh, you've got to see Sherlock! Awesome show!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.