Thursday, July 24, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY-HISTORICAL ROMANCE EDITION (36)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.

THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2) How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2) How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2)

How To Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn
Originally Published in 1999

When James Sidwell, Marquis of Riverdale, offered to help Elizabeth Hotchkiss find herself a husband, he never dreamed that the only candidate he could propose would be himself...

SHE'S TRYING TO FOLLOW THE RULES
When Elizabeth Hotchkiss stumbles upon a most intriguing book, How to Marry a Marquis, in her employer's library, she's convinced someone is playing a cruel joke. With three younger siblings to support, she knows she has to marry for money, but who might have guessed how desperate she's become? A guidebook to seduction might be just the thing she needs—and what harm could there be in taking a little peek?

BUT HE'S MAKING HIS OWN
James Sidwell, the Marquis of Riverdale, has been summoned to rescue his aunt from a blackmailer, a task that requires him to pose as the new estate manager—and he immediately sheds suspicion on his aunt's companion, Elizabeth. Intrigued by the deliciously alluring young woman with the curious little rulebook, he gallantly offers to help her find herself a husband...by practicing her wiles on him. But when practice becomes all too perfect, James decides there's only one rule worth following—that Elizabeth marry her marquis.


************
Julia Quinn is the author who got me obsessed with historical romance and this book is one of the most charming in her backlist.  I loved both the hero and heroine who were great as individual characters and even more adorable as a couple.  It isn't anything revolutionary or super thought-provoking, but I love it because it is just a light-hearted romance that makes me happy.  Plus Lady Danbury has a wonderful turn as a secondary character!

"For the love of God, woman, there's only one rule in that bloody book worth following."
"And that is?" Elizabeth asked disdainfully.
"That you marry your damned marquis!"

4 comments:

  1. I really need to read more of hers. I read one late last year and loved it but you know how those tbr piles are. Such monsters!

    I love that quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers of her UK editions are so, so beautiful! I wonder who the illustrator is.

    I love how Quinn has woven the worlds of her different series together. The Bridgertons, Smythe-Smiths, and the characters of her older books. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fan girl SQUEAL~ Love Julia Quinn! And her UK covers are so different and cute! I believe I have this on my shelf..... LOL Its been a while since I looked through my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I adore Julia Quinn, but How to Marry a Marquis has a very special place in my heart. I agree that this isn't groundbreaking, and I don't think it is as polished as some of JQ's later books, but I just love Elizabeth and James so much in this book. This is probably the JQ book I've read the most. It's such a comfort read. The other really big comfort read of JQ's, for me, is What Happens in London. They're both such enjoyable, easy reads and they make me super happy!

    Also, I kind of want to re-read these again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.