Wednesday, July 23, 2014

REVIEW: "Summer Is For Lovers" by Jennifer McQuiston


Summer Is for Lovers
Summer Is For Lovers by Jennifer McQuiston
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Victorian England

Avon -- Published in September 2013
Mass Market Paperback, 349 pages
Read in July 2014
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Beta Hero, Unique Setting

SUMMARY
Though she was just a girl when they first met, Caroline Tolbertson’s infatuation with David Cameron remains undimmed. Now fate has brought the handsome Scotsman back to Brighton for what promises to be an unforgettable summer. Soon, Caroline will have to choose a husband, but for now she is free to indulge her curiosity in things of a passionate nature.

That is, if David will agree to teach her.

Past mistakes have convinced David he’ll make a terrible husband, though he’ll gladly help the unconventional Caroline find a suitor. Unfortunately, she has something more scandalous in mind. As the contenders for her hand begin to line up, her future seems assured…provided David can do the honorable thing and let them have her.

When a spirited young woman is determined to break Society's rules, all a gentleman can do is lend a hand…or more.



FIRST LINE
"David Cameron didn't want to die."

MY THOUGHTS
Summer Is For Lovers is my first Jennifer McQuiston historical romance and it definitely will not be my last.  I started it because of the seaside setting and thought it would be a nice summer read.  What I got was an entertaining beach read with a wonderful heroine and great chemistry between the couple that had me turning pages late into the night.

Caroline Tolbertson and David Cameron meet when she saves him from dangerous waves when she is only twelve years old.  Afterwards, they go their separate ways until over a decade later when David returns to Brighton in order to help his mother improve her health.  He meets up with Caroline by accident once again and, after a series of events, they decide to team up in order to win a swimming contest.  Caroline is a powerful swimmer with an unusual stroke and she tries to teach David her techniques in order to help him win the prize money which they will split.

What really makes this book stand out, for me, is the couple of Caroline and David.  They are both wonderfully likable characters that have some issues to deal with and they do it together.  Caroline is sweet and socially awkward which made her super relatable to me.  Her biggest problem is the fact that she feels responsible for her mother and sister which makes her desperate to find someone to marry, but she can't get anyone to look past her height and unorthodox personality.  David is a Scotsman who has a mysterious reason for trying to kill himself a decade earlier and why he is avoiding marriage so much.  While I didn't like how long he hid his past, I did like his charming nature and the fact that he fell for Caroline so quickly.

Another aspect of Summer Is For Lovers that I loved was the setting.  It takes place completely in Brighton, the popular beach town.  I have heard about it in a ton of historical romances, but this is one of the few stories that focused so much on it.  Jennifer McQuiston obviously did a lot of research on the town and how the ton utilized it.  One of my favorite scenes involved the bathing machines which reminded me of an outhouse on wheels.

All in all, I found this book to be charming and romantic.  It was the perfect read for my beach vacation and I read it very quickly.  I definitely recommend it for readers looking for a light-hearted historical romance.

4 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

CHALLENGES READ FOR




5 comments:

  1. This looks really cute. I'm super curious about David Cameron. And I love awkward heroines.

    It's always fun to discover new authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds lovely! I've not read her before either. I love the ones where they've got a little past history like that and fate comes back in to play later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! McQuiston sounds like an author I would enjoy - research, good chemistry, a setting that isn't London or Bath, and an intriguing plot are all selling points for me. :-) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, I've just realized I picked up the Kindle version when it was on sale in June. Sounds like just the thing for an August vacation!

      Delete
    2. I got on sale in June as well. The Brighton setting was so much fun especially because I haven't read it that often. Hope you enjoy it as well!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.