Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, July 30, 2014

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "Big Jack" by JD Robb

Big Jack (In Death, #17.5)
Big Jack by JD Robb; Narrated by Susan Ericksen
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, Violence)
Romantic Suspense

Berkeley -- Published in 2003
Audiobook, 8 hours and 21 minutes
Read in July 2014
Purchased from Audible

THEMES
Alpha Hero, Kick-Ass Heroine, Murder Mystery, Novella

SUMMARY
In New York City in 2059, someone is pursuing missing gems from a decades-old heist…someone who's willing to kill for them. Sharp-witted and sexy, NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas is used to traveling in the shadowy corners outside the law. And in a future where crime meets cutting-edge technology, she will attempt to track down the diamonds once and for all-and stop the danger and death that have surrounded them for years.
FIRST LINE
"She was dying to get home."

MY THOUGHTS
Big Jack is an interesting novella that takes place in 2059 as part of the In Death series, but it is also a continuation of Hot Rocks, a contemporary romance written under the Nora Roberts pseudonym.  I did read Hot Rocks and had some trouble with the slower pace after being so used to the constant action of the In Death books.  I'm kinda glad I made it through so that I had some insight into Eve's latest homicide case.  I think someone could definitely read Big Jack without touching Hot Rocks and be able to understand the basic plot, but you might lose some of the finer details.

The main plot of this book centers around some long-lost diamonds and a perpetrator who is willing to kill to possess them.  Things kick off with a bang when acclaimed author Samantha Tavish comes home from a lengthy book tour to find her good friend (and housesitter) murdered.  You see Samantha has just published a book where she describes her family's connection to the missing diamonds and the romance that blossomed between her grandparents because of them.  This leads the murderer to believe that she knows the location of the diamonds.

While I thought the case was pretty basic compared to some of the ones that Eve and her group have solves over the past few months, I still found this book to be entertaining and a great installment to a fabulous series.  It takes serious sleuthing and amazing powers of deduction to solve the murder which I always admire about Eve.  Readers also get to see their favorite side characters like Eve's billionaire husband (Roarke), her newly promoted partner (Peabody), and a slew of others.  Like usual, Peabody's antics never fail to make me laugh.  This book has her dealing with her new detective status which includes not having to wear a uniform.  Watching her try to establish a work fashion style was hilarious especially with Eve's commentary.

Big Jack is pretty deep into the In Death series, but I definitely think new readers could jump right in and understand what is going on for the most part.  With its connection to the Nora Roberts's romance, it could be a great segue for fans of Roberts who haven't yet discovered the wonders of JD Robb.  As always, Susan Ericksen's narration is spot-on and lifts the story to even greater heights.  On to the next book!

4 STARS



STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.


FAVORITE QUOTES
"Do you remember the first time we made love?" He touched his lips to hers as he said it. "We rode up in the elevator like this and couldn't keep our hands off each other, couldn't get to each other quick enough. I was mad for you. I wanted you more than I wanted to keep breathing. I still do." He deepened the kiss as the elevator doors opened. "It's never going to change."


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
There are too many to show here, but I'm providing a link to the Goodreads listing and the listing from JD Robb's website.

CHALLENGES READ FOR

 

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting seeing both of her halves coming together for this one. It did take me a little time to adjust to that but I enjoyed it too :) Glad you had a good time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so, so, so need to try out J.D. Robb's In Death series. I used to adore reading Nora Roberts' books. I think the audiobook format would be best for me. Glad you are enjoying these.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.