Tuesday, June 24, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Book Cover Trends


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Top Ten Book Cover Trends I Like~

1. Pretty Dresses
I know it is overdone, but I love fashion and have a soft spot for gorgeous dresses especially in historical romance.
Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3) Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6) A Study in Seduction (Daring Hearts, #1) The Selection (The Selection, #1)

2. Hot Guys
Another often-overdone trend that I still love.  I am very particular about the styling with these types of covers.
The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4)

3. Staircases
I'm not sure why I am attracted to these on covers, but there is something statuesque and mysterious about them.  I just wonder where the cover models are going.
No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3) The Captive Maiden Cruel Beauty A Bloom in Winter (Summerset Abbey, #2)

4. Masks
I love mystery and masks are just downright beautiful.
Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1) Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) When the Duke Returns (Desperate Duchesses, #4)


5. Shoes
Another personal preference since I'm a shoe fanatic.
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) Bet Me Chasing Harry Winston

6. Castles
Classic architecture will always grab my attention.
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) Keeping the Castle Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)

7. Ocean
These covers just make feel refreshed and cool which is ideal for summer reading.
Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2) Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) Summer Is for Lovers Wake (Watersong #1)

8. Weapons
This is a very popular nowadays so I am always excited to see a unique spin off it like with the bow or the double blades.
Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) Croak (Croak, #1) Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)

9. Umbrellas/Parasols
These always give me a gothic feel.
Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5) Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Lady of Ashes (Lady of Ashes, #1) Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)

10. Reflections
It can be badly done, but these are great examples of how reflections can grab a future readers' attention.
 Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) School Spirits (School Spirits, #1) Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1) Notes from Ghost Town

6 comments:

  1. Nice list of beautiful covers. I especially like the ones with weapons (I'd never thought about that) and the ones with reflections :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for pretty dress covers as well! I also like masks and reflections :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your first 3! Dresses and man candy are always good in my book. Hadn't thought about stairs but yes they're gorgeous and mysterious. I have a few on my favorites list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that pretty dresses and half-naked men are ones I hate. Both are so over done and usually just seem pretty boring to me. The reflection covers can be amazing when they are well done, I love the Pivot Point ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these!! My Favorites are masks and pretty dresses!! But who doesn't love some yummy man candy right? Although its not a huge trend, I love couple poses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list Jennifer! I actually had a little difficulty with this week's TTT LOL :) so I deviated a little and did my favorite series covers. Thanks for stopping by, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.