Tuesday, May 13, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Almost Gave Up On


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Books I Almost Gave Up On, But Didn't~

I had a really hard time with this list because I have gotten to the point that, if I'm not enjoying a story, I will put it down and possible never finish it.  I have so many books on my wishlist and my TBR pile that I don't usually waste my time on books that I probably won't like.  But, I did manage to come up with a few for this list so here it goes!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
This is one that I am slightly ashamed I almost put down permanently.  My brother got it for a Christmas present and tried to make me read it because he was already obsessed.  I read the first few chapters and was bored (for some reason) so I put it down for awhile.  Thankfully, the first movie came out a few weeks later and, after seeing it, I rushed home and read books 1-3 within a month.  And the rest is history...

Darkfever (Fever, #1)
2. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
I almost gave up on this book because of the depiction of the heroine, MacKayla Lane.  I found her to be annoying and self-centered, but then I read a few reviews that explained how much of a journey Mac goes on.  So I decided to keep forging on and it has become one of my favorite series ever...with Mac being one of my favorite heroines. 

Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
3. Naked in Death by JD Robb
I started this based on recommendations from other readers and almost put it down within the first chapter because of the graphic rape/murder scene.  But, after taking a few days away from it, I tried it again and quickly became engrossed in the story of Eve Dallas and Roarke.  Now I'm slowly making my way through this lengthy (but so very good) series...just started book 14 of 38 this morning.

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
This was a book that I had been meaning to try for awhile, but couldn't get motivated because of bad Twilight memories.  When I finally did start it, I was so confused and irritated with Rose's character that I put it down.  Then I saw the audio version go on sale at Audible and I decided it give it another try.  The audio book helped me understand what was going on and I have been in love with Ms. Mead's writing ever since.

The Gilded Web
5. The Gilded Web by Mary Balogh
This was one of the first disappointing reads I came across during my historical romance glom about eight years ago.  I was determined to finish every book I started and, even though I was bored and annoyed the entire time, I did complete this book.  Then unceremoniously donated to my library and haven't thought about it again until doing this list.

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3)
6. Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Yes, I did read the entire Fifty Shades trilogy.  I actually found the first book to be entertaining (if completely unrealistic and poorly written) and the second one was ok.  But, the third book was so stupid and irritating that I almost gave up though I'm still not sure why I kept reading.

The Andromeda Strain
7. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton 
I like certain types of science fiction, but deadly diseases and biological discussions bore me to tears.  The only reason I kept reading this book was that it was a school assignment where I couldn't rely on CliffNotes or skimming.  I did see the movie a few years ago and enjoyed it so I may try to read it again.

11 comments:

  1. I keep trying to get myself to read VA, and I haven't been able to do it. I recently got the audio version, though, and I'm so glad to hear that that really worked out for you. I will have to go that route to read VA.

    Also, You found HP boring??? Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm glad you gave it a second go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you continued with Harry Potter. It's a fantastic series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the first Harry Potter book on several TTT lists today, including my own. I think it does take getting past the first chapter or two to really get going. I'm so glad I kept going - and went back and reread it several years later, which was when I really fell in love with it.

    The Gilded Web is one of my least favorite Balogh books, and she is one of my favorite historical romance writers. I hope it didn't put you off her books entirely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gilded Web definitely did put me off Balogh. I love her work especially the Bedwyn Saga...I'm in love with Wulf! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. I loved the Bedwyn saga! And also One Night for Love and A Summer to Remember, which are more-or-less prequels to it. I like the Huxtable books, too - especially Con's story. Balogh is pretty much an autobuy for me.

      Delete
  4. Sigh, Harry Potter! I watched all of the movies. Yes, I always begin with saying that, because everyone looks evil at me when I tell them I only have read the first book. And yes, I was planning to read the rest of the series, because book one was amazing and I loved all of the characters in it..but I forgot all about the books...so I never finished the series. Should I? I should. Probably one day..

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read Vampire Academy as well after some hesitation and liked it. Supposedly it's the weakest book and the series gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the weakest of the series. My favorites are Shadow Kiss (#3) and Spirit Bound (#5). Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. I nearly put HP down too! I was bought it when I was about 6 years old, picked it up a couple of years later and then picked it up when I was 11 and then got on with it okay. Can't remember why, I just was not in to it!

    Thanks for sharing & great list!

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually liked The Gilded Web!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mary Balogh, but one just didn't work for me. I remember enjoying the rest of the trilogy. Maybe I'll re-read it again and see if it is any better. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.