Thursday, May 15, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY-HISTORICAL ROMANCE EDITION (27)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.


THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

Much Ado About You (Essex Sisters, #1)

Much Ado About You by Eloisa James
Published in 2004

When you're the oldest daughter, you don't get to have any fun!

Witty, orphaned Tess Essex faces her duty: marry well and marry quickly, so she can arrange matches for her three sisters -- beautiful Annabel, romantic Imogen and practical Josie. After all, right now they're under the rather awkward guardianship of the perpetually tipsy Duke of Holbrook. But just when she begins to think that all might end well, one of her sisters bolts with a horse-mad young lord, and her own fiancé just plain runs away.

Which leaves Tess contemplating marriage to the sort of man she wishes to avoid -- one of London's most infamous rakes. Lucius Felton is a rogue whose own mother considers him irredeemable! He's delicious, Annabel points out. And he's rich, Josie notes. But although Tess finally consents to marry him, it may be for the worst reason of all. Absurd as she knows it to be, she may have fallen utterly in love . . .


************
This was the first book I read by Eloisa James who is one of my favorite authors now.  What I love about this one is the Shakespearean tone and the great characters especially Tess.  It is the first installment in the Essex sisters quartet which is one of the rare series where I loved every book in it.

3 comments:

  1. The premise sort of makes me think of How to Marry a Marquis. I haven't read James before. I tried one of her books a few months back but couldn't get into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right place.

    Do James' books have a lot of humor to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty funny (to me, at least). I would say that the humor is more farcical than LOL comedy, but it usually works for me. One thing that I see some people mention that makes it harder for them to enjoy her books is the "soap opera" style she uses. There are many characters and sometimes multiple storylines going on at once. I love that storytelling element, but it doesn't work for a lot of people.

      Delete
  2. I loved Eloisa James's Essex Sisters Quartet! I agree -- James has a gift for telling very compelling stories and I don't mind the multiple storylines/characters because she's able to give each one a distinct voice.

    I also thought her older works were more angst-y and her current works have her humour and wit. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.