Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, May 14, 2014

REVIEW: "Sweet Reckoning" by Wendy Higgins


Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)
Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins
For Ages 15+ (Language, Sensuality)
Young Adult -- Paranormal

Harper Teen -- Published in April 2014
Paperback, 379 pages
Read in May 2014
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Angels, Demons, First Person Narrative

SUMMARY
It’s time.

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.



FIRST LINE
"Not a soul in the Vegas cocktail lounge had any idea demons were in their midst."

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review contains minor spoilers for earlier books in the Sweet trilogy.  To catch up, check out my reviews for Sweet Evil and Sweet Peril.

I really like this series and am both excited and sad that Sweet Reckoning is the conclusion.  The pace of the series has really picked up lately and it is obvious that the end is near.  While this book was not my favorite of the trilogy, I still thought it was a satisfying installment.

The last time readers saw Anna and Kai they were trying to find allies among the other children of the evil Dukes in order to complete a plan to save them all from an eternity of torture in hell.  Unfortunately, one of their main allies was murdered and now they are scrambling to keep their actions a secret while figuring out their next move.  Anna is still trying to maintain her cover as the daughter of the Duke of Substance Abuse which is becoming more difficult as the other Dukes begin to suspect her.

Sweet Reckoning allowed the author to show how much both Anna and Kai have grown over the series.  Anna is still a genuine and slightly naive young lady, but she has proven that she can be just as tough as any other YA heroine when the time comes.  Her positive outlook is always refreshing to read about and never seems preachy to me.  Kai has still maintained his sexy bad boy personality though it is muted a little thanks to his relationship with Anna.  I do wish we had gotten a bit more of the conflict he feels while maintaining his cover as the son of the Duke of Lust while still being in love with Anna.

The relationship between Anna and Kai is, obviously, very strong and the author portrayed this nicely.  I will admit that there was one development in regards to the love story of which I wasn't a huge fan.  But, I can see how it worked with the overall storyline.  They both are great characters that work well together despite their different backgrounds and childhoods.

One of the strongest elements for me in this series is the side characters.  Anna and Kai's fellow Nephs like Kope, Ginger, Marna, and Blake along with Anna's best friend, Jay, all play big parts in this installment which I loved.  These characters are well-developed and designed to be very important in Anna and Kai's story.  I also enjoyed the emphasis on friendship in these books.

In terms of the plot, there wasn't a ton of parts that surprised me.  But, I was entertained and had a hard time putting the book down when I had to go do real life stuff.  I do wish there had been a bit more action in the conclusion, but, overall, I was happy with the way that everything was resolved.

While this was not the best YA paranormal series I've read, I did enjoy the ride and look forward to seeing what Wendy Higgins does next.  I definitely recommend the Sweet trilogy for readers who like nice girl heroines, bad boy heroes, and a unique twist on the angel/demon myth.


3.5 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Blush -- Kisses with no/minor touching.

FAVORITE QUOTES
"Stop!" I pinned him with a serious look. "No more. Get it out of your head, Kai! We are not running. This is happening whether you like it or not. It's time to get your game face on and get ready to kick some ass."


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Sweet Evil
2. Sweet Peril
3. Sweet Reckoning

CHALLENGES READ FOR


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.