Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Most Unique Books I've Read


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Ten Unique Books I've Read~

I had a hard time figuring out what criteria to use for this list so I decided to just focus on ones that had unique main characters.

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1)
1. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley
Lord Ian Mackenzie -- A younger son of a Scottish lord who is dealing with Asperger's syndrome in an era where such behaviors were thought to be madness. 
"Ian cupped her chin and turned her face up to his. Then he did what he’d been practicing since the night on the train – he looked her fully in the eyes. He couldn’t always do it. Sometimes his gaze simply refused to obey, and he’d turn away with a growl. But more and more he’d been able to focus directly on her. Ian’s eyes were beautiful, even more so when his pupils widened with desire."

Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
2. Simple Jess by Pamela Morsi
Jesse Best -- A young man growing up in early 20th century Arkansas who shows that even a person who is deemed 'simple' is worthy of love and respect.

"He simply had to trust the dogs. On the hunt, man and dogs were always a team.  With Jesse, perhaps this was more true than with most. Most men, knowing themselves to be a lot smarter than the dogs, often overruled their judgment. Jesse, not thinking himself much smarter than anything, did not. He often relied upon his own instincts. He
therefore had more respect for instinct, perhaps, than a man who normally relied upon intellect. The mind of the dog was in many ways as simple and uncomplicated as Jesse's own. He was taught to memorize actions in places he couldn't reason, and obey in situations that he did not understand. When he did understand he followed his instinct. His instincts assured him that as hunter, the dog was at least the equal of man. And for scenting and tracking, the dog was superior."

Painted Faces  
3. Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway
Nicholas Turner -- A straight drag queen who really makes a reader think about sexual dynamics and what it means to be either masculine or feminine.
Freda on Nicholas: "I love him because he makes me laugh when I don't feel like laughing. I love him because he challenges my view of what a man is. I love him because I know I shouldn't love him and that he'll break my heart. I love him because he's a complete and total anomaly. I love him because I want to kill the sadness inside him more than I want anything else in the world."

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)  
4. Soulless by Gail Carriger
Alexia Tarabotti -- A spinster living in a steampunk version of Victorian London who was actually born without a soul.
"Miss Tarabotti was not one of life's milk-water misses--in fact, quite the opposite. Many a gentleman had likened his first meeting with her to downing a very strong cognac when one was expecting to imbibe fruit juice--that is to say, startling and apt to leave one with a distinct burning sensation."

Out of My Mind 
5. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Melody -- An intelligent ten year old girl who is unable to speak due to cerebral palsy, but shows her family and her classmates how much she really does understand.
"Every word my parents spoke to me or about me I absorbed and kept and remembered. All of them.  I have no idea how I untangled the complicated process of words and thought, but it happened quickly and naturally. By the time I was two, all my memories had words, and all my words had meanings.  But only in my head.  I have never spoken one single word. I am almost eleven years old."


The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)  
6. The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan
Violet Waterfield -- A countess who is secretly hiding a penchant for scientific study that is frowned up on in Victorian England.
"I keep everything hidden because there's nothing about my true self that anyone likes. I'm not difficult, Sebastian. I'm the easiest person around. I don't belong, and I spend all my time pretending I do. Sometimes I get weary of it, and that makes me angry.  It's not fair to the people around me when I lose my temper. I say awful things when I'm angry. But it's not fair to me, either, that I was made this way."

Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
7. Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund
Persis Blake -- A teenage girl who uses a facade of a fashion-obsessed, shallow socialite to hide the fact that she is a famous spy.
"If they didn't take you seriously, they would never see you coming."

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)
8. Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
Chess Putnam -- A witch who specializes in the eradication of ghosts and is dealing with a serious drug problem.

"If her life had taught her anything, it was that you never really knew what people had going on beneath the surface. People were shit. The only difference between them and animals was people felt the need to hide it."
Games of Command
9. Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair
Admiral Branden Kel-Paten -- A biocybe who is in love with his greatest rival and is ashamed of his half-human/half-machine state.
"Something painful flashed across Kel-Paten's face.  She knew the vehemence of her words had cut him.  She might have threatened to kill a man, but only to a 'cybe would she threaten dismantling.  Like an unusable KS3 unit or a malfunctioing bar 'droid."

Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)
10. Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh
Judd Lauren -- A powerful telekinetic assassin who defects from the world of the Psy and is learning to deal with emotions for the first time.
" 'Judd is a fully trained Psy assassin with experience in covert wet work. I’d be a fool if I didn’t utilize his skills.' His face gentled, an unexpected softening of harsh masculine lines. Closing the distance between them, he cupped her cheek. 'He is who and what he is, Brenna. If you want something different, you shouldn’t be with him.'  "

5 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm leaving comments on your blog! Thanks so much for adding URL/Name!

    I loved Across a Star-Swept Sea. I love how the girl is the hero, and that she uses people's perceptions of women to be all sneaky-like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Souless a bit back and I really enjoyed. It really is unique and I adored the characters. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week! :) xxx



    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Countess Conspiracy sounds so good!! I should check it out :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did love Caressed by Ice and Madness of Lord Mackenzie. I haven't read the others but Milan is definitely on my list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Countess Conspiracy is just beyond! That novel is perfection. I just re-read Caressed of Ice about three weeks ago and just fell in love with everything all over again. Counting down the days until Shield of Winter is released. Thanks for sharing Jennifer :)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.