Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Gateway Books In My Reading Journey


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Top Ten Gateway Books In My Reading Journey~

There's a Nightmare in My Closet
1. There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer
The picture book I remember most.  I was obsessed with this story, according to my parents.


Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)  
2. American Girl series by various authors
My dad started reading these to me when I was in kindergarten and then we switched it as I got older.  I credit these as starting my love for history. 

Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
3. The Baby-sitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin
My favorite series from elementary school.  It helped me understand a ton of social issues like divorce, eating disorders, bullying, etc. long before they were brought up in school. 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
4. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Probably will be a popular answer this week, but no less powerful for me.  It started my interest in the fantasy genre and just changed my life in more ways than I can count.

Someone Like You
5. Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
One of the first YA novels I read.  Dessen is still one of my go-to authors for YA contemporary love stories.

The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
6. The Duke and I by Julia Quinn
My first historical romance novel!  I think read the rest of the series within a month of finishing this one.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
7. Dark Lover by JR Ward
The beginning of my journey with paranormal romance.  Still one of my favorite series after all these years!

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
8. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I think my obsession with this book is the one that brought me to Goodreads which eventually led to me starting this blog.  It also got me interested in YA fiction again.

Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
9. Hot Target by Suzanne Brockmann
The side romance between movie star Robin Chadwick and FBI agent Jules Cassidy completely blew me away and I have been hunting down M/M romance ever since.

Darkfever (Fever, #1)
10. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
I have been a paranormal romance for awhile, but this was my first experience with urban fantasy.  I can't say I'm obsessed with that genre yet though I am really getting into it.

4 comments:

  1. 1-4 and 7-8 were good, I can't believe I forgot TBC! I used to love that series. I have a feeling though that HP is going to be making a lot of lists this week. Great list :)
    Here's my TTT post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list was great! The Baby Sitters Club and Harry potter series were both on my list too. I also adored The American Girl books. they really sparked my interest in historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list! Harry Potter is one of my faves and I also read The Babysitters Club (although it did not make my list)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been interesting to see the gateway books and see if I can figure out the blogger's generation! The American Girl books were much to late for me, but I would have loved them as a girl -- and my daughter did. You and I share a love of Julia Quinn, though! The Duke and I was my first of hers, though not my first historical romance. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.