Thursday, April 10, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY-Historical Romance Edition (22)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.


THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

As You Desire (Braxton, #1) 

As You Desire by Connie Brockway
Originally Published: January 1997

Kidnapped, drugged, and about to be sold to the highest bidder, Desdemona Carlisle is having a hell of a time maintaining her English pride. Then she sees the man in black, galloping through the Egyptian desert on a pure white steed. Desdemona could not have conjured a more dashing savior in her wildest fantasies. But an unlikelier hero would be impossible to find: Harry Braxton is a rogue, a scoundrel, and a born opportunist—who has already broken Desdemona’s heart once before.

As brilliant as she is beautiful, Desdemona still hasn’t learned how to stay out of trouble—which suits Harry just fine. Running from a painful past, and rumored to be involved in nefarious endeavors, Harry will never be a proper match for Desdemona. But when she catches the eye of his cousin, the irritatingly honorable Lord Blake Ravenscroft, Harry vows to claim his one true desire, once and for all.


********************
This book has my all-time favorite romance trope: the hero's unrequited love for the heroine.  Harry's reasons for not pursuing Desdemona are completely understandable and it is joy to see him through his inhibitions out the window.  Desdemona (Dizzy) is a language prodigy who is oblivious to Harry's true feelings and desires a grand romance similar to the ones she loves to read.  The whole book is a blast to read with its sweet love story and vivacious characters.  Plus the whole thing takes place in late 19th century Egypt!!

11 comments:

  1. Sooo, here's what I can't seemto stop focusing on - Lord Blake Ravenscroft! Because that is the name of the hero in How to Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn!

    But this book seems fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part always makes me laugh! I saw someone on Facebook ask JQ about it once and she said that her hero was always named Blake, but he had a different last name. Then she got this urge (in the middle of writing) to change the name to Ravenscroft. She didn't realize that she had subconsciously taken it from As You Desire until years later. Apparently, Connie Brockway noticed right away, but was too nice to tell her about it. It is a fabulous book that I think you would really enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I really need to give Connie a try I own a couple of her books and haven't read them yet but this one looks good :)
    Here's my TBT Post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one and All Through the Night are my favorites. As You Desire is mostly lighthearted and ATTN is pretty angsty. So there is something for everyone in her backlist! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I have read this author and I love her older books, this one I don't think I have read yet, but I have wanted to for years. I think I will have to check it out from my library soon. I have been itching to read a older book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently saw it for $2.99 on Amazon if you are interested. The sequel is really good as well.

      Delete
  4. I love this romance trope too. The other book that brings this to mind is Julia Quinn's When He Was Wicked. I'm featuring Connie Brockway this week too. Thanks for sharing Jennifer :)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When He Was Wicked is one of my favorites as well! The whole "hero with a crush" thing is (by far) my favorite theme in romance. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. LOL Lord Blake! This is just to great. I love Connie's writing and this just makes me laugh to think of JQ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Other Guy's Bride, which features their daughter, I think? I really should read this one! I love Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the sequel. I read and enjoyed that one as well. It was great to see elements of both Harry and Dizzy in Ginesse. And yeah for Egypt!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.