Monday, April 28, 2014

NOVELLA REVIEW: "Red at Night" by Katie McGarry


Red at Night

Red at Night by Katie McGarry
For Ages 13+ (Language, Drug Use)
Young Adult --  Contemporary

Harlequin -- April 1, 2014
Ebook, 84 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Novella, First Person Narrative, Dual Points of View

SUMMARY
Stella and Jonah are total opposites. She's the girl with purple hair from the wrong part of town. He's a high school senior who hangs with the cool crowd. Until a car accident leaves him haunted by guilt, and Jonah starts spending time at Stella's favorite refuge…the local cemetery.

Stella knows she should keep her distance—after all, she spent her girlhood being bullied by Jonah's friends. Once he's sorted out his tangled emotions, Jonah won't have time for her anymore. Too bad she's already fallen for him.



FIRST LINE
"I like cemeteries."

MY THOUGHTS
I absolutely adore Katie McGarry's writing with her relatable characters (male and female) and swoon-worthy romance.  Red at Night is a great introduction to McGarry's storytelling and really shows why she is such a talent writer.

Stella is a teenager who lives with her father's on-and-off girlfriend in a decrepit apartment on the wrong side of the tracks.  Jonah is from an upper middle class family that prides itself on having money and status.  These two young people meet up in the most unusual of places (a cemetery) and forge a friendship and later a relationship based on finally finding someone they can connect with.

I really liked both Stella and Jonah.  They each had their own reasons for hanging out in the cemetery and I thought it was a unique way to develop their characters.  Their relationship was not perfect with Stella not trusting Jonah's feelings after years of being bullied by his friends and Jonah still being effected by a tragic situation.  The development of their friendship was my favorite aspect and, while I liked watching grow to care about one another in a romantic sense, I thought they fell in love too fast.

The main issue that I had with Red at Night was the length.  I love McGarry's characters and I wanted more!  I would love to have seen this story with more pages.  I think that would have helped with insta-love aspect and also prevented the ending from being so abrupt.  But, I still thought this was a quick and entertaining read that has McGarry's wonderful prose and fascinating characters.

3 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Blush -- Kisses with no/minor touching.


FAVORITE QUOTE

"For a few seconds, I want to know what it’s like not to settle or dream, but to live. To be the girl who’s cared for, to be the girl who’s cherished, to be the girl who’s kissed."  

1 comment:

  1. I love Katie McGarry, too, but it's hard with the novellas. I read her other novella (I think it was called Crossing the Line) and basically I felt the same about you do about Red at Night - that is wasn't long enough. I wanted more!!! I will still read this though!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.