Tuesday, March 11, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: All-Time Favorite Books in YA Contemporary


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Top Ten All-Time Favorite Books in YA Contemporary~

I decided to do a list of my favorite YA contemporary books because this is a genre that I don't talk about a ton on this blog.  Plus most people who read my blog know my favorites in other genres.

Just Listen
1. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
I love everything that Dessen writes, but this is the book that I connected with the most.  Annabel's journey to speaking her mind and her relationship with Owen were so inspiring.  Plus I loved the role that music played in the overall plot.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
2. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Road trip stories are some of my favorites and this book is one of the best.  I loved both Amy and Roger's characters and got a kick out of all the adventures they had.  [REVIEW]

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
3. Dare You To by Katie McGarry
I had an inner debate with this one on whether I should choose Pushing the Limits or Dare You To.  I went with the later because of the character of Beth and how unique I thought she was for YA fiction.  But, this entry could be considered one for all of the books in this series. [REVIEW]

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
4. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
This is an obvious answer, but I wanted to put it in the list because it is probably the book that really got me interested in YA contemporary after a long hiatus.  Everything about this book worked for me from the setting (Paris!) to the characters (Etienne!).  I also loved the companion novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and am excited for the conclusion of the trilogy, Isla and the Happily Ever After, to be released.

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)
5. Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
One of my favorites in high school!  Georgia's antics are over-the-top and just downright hilarious.  I also think the dictionary of Georgia-slang is worth the price of the book along.  Nunga-nungas, anyone?

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1)
6. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
A great example of the popular starcrossed lovers theme that is so prevalent in YA romance.  It is one of the first YA books I read that had dual points of view and I think that helped it stand out since I got to see inside the minds of both Brittany and Alex.

Fangirl
7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I just read this last year and it has already cemented a place in my heart.  The journey of college freshmen and avid fanfiction writer, Cath, really resonated with me and I have already re-read it twice since it came out in September. [REVIEW]

The Fault in Our Stars
8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
A book that I adored and one that I don't think I'll be able to read again.  The emotions that I experienced while reading this were so powerful that I knew I could never reach that pinnacle again.  But, I am excited to see the movie version...as tough as it will be to watch at certain times.

The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)
9. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
Another favorite from high school!  I decided to try the series after seeing the adorable Disney movie and, while I was shocked at how different the two were, I fell in love with Mia's journey.  I still need to read the last few books in the series, but I definitely recommend it to readers of all ages who enjoy coming of age stories and plenty of comedy.

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
10. Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher
I discovered Chris Crutcher's unique YA fiction while taking a class on youth literature and I have never been so happy to be assigned a book as I was this one.  It is powerful, thought-provoking, and kept me reading late into the night.  It is a bit dated at times, but I still think its message is relevant for today's teenagers.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
This Lullaby Epic Fail Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1) Thirteen Reasons Why Out of My Mind The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)

10 comments:

  1. Added Anna & the French Kiss to my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list! I love Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging and Fangirl. Anna and the French Kiss has such a boring cover but I keep seeing it on lists of awesome. It's probably time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a boring cover, but I promise the story is amazing! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Good list, I love The Fault in Our Stars and Thirteen Reasons Why as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I don't think I'll ever be able to read TFiOS again, either. Yay for Katie McGarry love. And oh my gosh, I can't believe I didn't include Anna and the French Kiss in my TTT, because it's a major favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list :) I don't read many YA contemps and I have only read Pushing the Limits and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants from your honourable mentions. I just loved those ones! Thanks for stopping by my TTT Post :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Fault in our Stars and need to read Fangirl so bad! Great list!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything on your list but I have seen The Princess Diaries... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to keep some of these in mind, I have been meaning to read a bit more YA.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.