Thursday, March 27, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY-HISTORICAL ROMANCE EDITION (20)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.


THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2) 
Simply Love
by Mary Balogh
Originally Published in January 2006

Anne first spied him in the deepening dusk of a Wales evening --- a lone figure of breathtaking strength, his handsome face branded by a secret pain. For teacher and single mother Anne Jewell, Sydnam Butler is a man whose sorrows --- and passions --- run deeper than she could have ever imagined. As steward of a remote seaside manor, Sydnam lives a reclusive existence. Yet he senses in Anne a kindred soul, and between these two wary hearts, desire stirs. Unable to resist the passion that has rescued them both, Anne and Sydnam share an afternoon of exquisite lovemaking. As scandal looms, suddenly the unwed mother and the war-scarred veteran must make a decision that could forever alter their lives.

**********
This is a great example how powerful Mary Balogh's writing is.  I think this book made me cry more than any other historical romance and then made me sigh with happiness by the ending.  Anne is a brave, determined woman who doesn't let her tragic past define her future and Sydnam is such an inspiration as he deals with his own demons.  I love reading about two tortured souls who find solace with each other and Simply Love is one of the best I've read with that theme.  While this book is connected to Balogh's Bedwyn family, the prequels, and the rest of the Simply trilogy, I think it stands pretty well on its own.  Though if you really want to see the evolution of Sydnam's character, I suggest you read A Summer To Remember first which isn't much of a struggle because it is amazing in its own right.
 

4 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Mary Balogh, but she has long been on my "need to check out" list. This one definitely sounds interesting, but I'm thinking, if I read her books, I should start with A Summer to Remember first. I love to see lots of character growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Balogh~ I need more books from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Mary Balogh, although I have plenty of her books on my TBR list! But I love your description of this, I think it'll have to be top of my list next time I need a good cry lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love this book! I can't wait for the next instalment of her new series, The Survivors Club. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.