Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, March 3, 2014

REVIEW: "When the Marquess Met His Match" by Laura Lee Guhrke


When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
When the Marquess Met His Match by Laura Lee Guhrke
(An American Heiress in London #1)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance

Avon -- October 29, 2013
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Opposites Attract

SUMMARY
What happens when a carefree, disreputable, stone-broke bachelor is forced to find a wife in a hurry? He hires a matchmaker, of course. What happens when the matchmaker doesn’t want to help him? Well, that’s when the fun begins…

Nicholas Stirling, Marquess of Trubridge, loves his life just as it is: dissolute, scandalous, and deuced good fun. His father, the Duke of Landsdowne is not amused, and when he cuts off Nicholas’ trust fund, the fun-loving marquess is forced to find an alternate source of income—in other words, he has to marry an heiress.

Every new-money American heiress knows Lady Belinda Featherstone is the key to social acceptance. Once a new-money nobody herself, Belinda discovered first-hand how heartbreaking the game of love and matrimony could be after a reprobate British earl married her for her money. Now a respectable widow, Belinda has become England’s most successful matchmaker, guiding young American heiresses through the hazards of the London season and helping them to find husbands worthy of them. To her mind, the Marquess of Trubridge is nothing but a fortune-hunting scoundrel and she has no intention of allowing him to charm his way into any American girl’s heart, including her own.



FIRST LINE
"The primary difficulty with being a match-maker wasn't the unpredictability of human nature, or the contrariness of love, or even the interfering parents."

MY THOUGHTS
I was so excited when I learned that Laura Lee Guhrke was starting a new series, An American Heiress in London.  Her writing style is very different due to her interest in late Victorian/Edwardian England and I have missed her.  I did like When the Marquess Met His Match and am interested in the rest of the series, but I did have some issues with the romance itself.

Lady Belinda Featherstone is a American-born widow who married an English lord and gained a title in exchange for her dowry.  She was desperately in love with her husband on their wedding day, but quickly learned that he was not interested in her feelings and her married life was very lonely until his untimely death.  Now, Belinda has devoted her life to helping rich American girls find English husbands that will not break their hearts and has developed quite a reputation for matchmaking which is why the Marquess of Trubridge (Nicholas) decides to use her to help him find a wife.

Nicholas has been engaged in a battle of wills with his father since he was nineteen.  The duke's latest mission involves cutting his son off unless he married a woman he deems worthy.  Nicholas is in a constant state of rebellion so he decides to use Belinda's services to help find a rich American wife which he knows will anger his father even more.  But, he doesn't plan on being so attracted to his matchmaker from the moment he meets her and now he finds himself trying to improve himself in order to impress her.

I really liked both the hero and heroine especially Nicholas.  My favorite part was that both of them had issues to overcome in order to find happiness with each other.  Nicholas is genuinely nice guy who has had a tough time due to his father's manipulations.  He has to learn how to live a life aside from rebellion and concentrate on something else.  Belinda has to learn how to trust someone again after the disaster of her marriage to Lord Featherstone.  Opposites attract stories are always interesting and this one was true to form.

The main issue that I had with this book was the romance between Nicholas and Belinda.  I think they are a nice couple and can see how they could be happy together.  Unfortunately, I thought the development of the relationship was a little weak.  They went from hating each other to physical attraction to declarations of love too fast for my personal taste.  I also thought they spent too much time apart for me to believe in their romance.  I like my couples to interact a lot and that just didn't happen in this book.

Besides the growth of Belinda and Nicholas, I also really enjoyed the side characters that Laura Lee Guhrke provided readers.  My personal favorites were Nicholas's best friend, Denys, whose relationship with his father provided a nice parallel and Belinda's friend, the Duchess of Margrave whose marriage to her absent husband really intrigued me.  I thought that the duke (Nicholas's father) was a worthy villain who was obviously a horrible parent figure, but never went into cliche territory.

Overall, I did like When the Marquess Met His Match and think it is a good introduction to the series.  I am really excited to read the next installment which will feature the Duke and Duchess of Margrave and their unconventional marriage situation.

3.5 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. When the Marquess Met His Match
2. How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (Coming 2014)

CHALLENGES READ FOR




 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to enjoy it! I really liked him but had some difficulties with the heroine. Hope book two is a fantastic one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some earlier reviews for the next book and it seems like it is much better than this one. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Oh that's good to hear! I've heard a lot of raves about her book but was nervous about trying more in this series. I'll give it a go now :) Thanks Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. I've never read anything by Laura Lee Gurke, but I'm curious about her books. I like to see the hero and heroine interacting a lot, too, so that's too bad that they spent so much time apart in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like LLG's work. My personal favorites are her Girl Bachelors series which starts with And Then He Kissed Her. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.