Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

NOVELLA REVIEW: "The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild" by Maya Rodale


The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #2.5)
The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild by Maya Rodale
(Bad Boys and Wallflowers #2.5)

Goodreads -- Amazon 
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language and Sensuality)
Contemporary Romance

Avon -- February 4, 2014
Ebook, 144 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Novella, Love Triangle, First Person Narrative

SUMMARY
Being good hasn't exactly worked out well for Jane Sparks. Her ex-boyfriend dumped her for being too predictable, and her fake fiancé, Duke Austen, is counting on her good-girl image to repair his bad-boy reputation. But everything changes with the publication of the historical romance novel she wrote based on her fauxmance with the Bad Boy Billionaire. Suddenly she's notorious, scandalous, and causing lots of trouble.

Duke Austen always admired Jane's poise and perfectly demure behavior … qualities that seemed to have vanished once she helped him land a big investment deal. But now that his company is on the verge of a 20-billion-dollar IPO, the stakes have never been higher—and Jane has never been more shocking, provocative, or wickedly irresistible. She's not at all the woman he bargained for, yet she's the only one he wants.

Duke is determined to woo his girl gone wild. She's determined to keep him guessing. But Jane is discovering that there's nothing so appealing as a billionaire who's mad, bad, and dangerously seductive …



FIRST LINE
"Here's what you need to know about my crazy love life: I could start with the day I lost my job as head librarian at the Milford Public Library, which was the same day I got dumped by my high school sweetheart and boyfriend of twelve years."

MY THOUGHTS
I continue to adore what Ms. Rodale is doing with this series.  For those of you who are unaware, the Bad Boys and Wallflowers books are a combination of contemporary and historical romance.  The heroine of the Bad Boy-titled books is an aspiring author whose historical romances are published as part of the series as well.  It is a unique concept and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The last time readers saw Jane Sparks and Duke Austen, they had decided to begin a false engagement in order to obtain funding for Duke's newest investment idea by repairing his bad boy reputation.  But, like you would expect in a romance novel, both Jane and Duke begin to develop feelings for each other beyond the physical.  Jane responds to the confusion she feels by writing her experiences as a historical romance entitled, The Wicked Wallflower. The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild deals with the aftermath of Jane's self-publication of her historical romance.  It quickly becomes a viral sensation and she has now become a scandalous bad girl in her own right.  This forces the couple to really look at their "relationship" to decide if it is doing more harm than good especially with rumors flying around that it was all a hoax to begin with. 

My favorite part about this book was the fact that Jane got to be the center of attention.  The first novella, even though it was written from Jane's point of view, seemed to focus on Duke which was fine with me since he is an intriguing character in his own right.  But, I have been really interested in Jane's character and how she is handling such a unique situation.  So I was glad to see the focus shift to her and her ambitions.  This is a woman who thought she had everything planned out until it all fell apart and now she is finally getting back on her feet in the most fabulous of ways.  I loved the transformation and how confident she appeared by the end of the story.

Duke is not as big of a factor in this novella as in the previous one, but his presence was still felt.  I liked how Ms. Rodale showed his growth as a character from being obsessed with his career to thinking more about Jane and her place in his life.  Readers also have to deal with the fact that Jane's ex-boyfriend, Sam, makes a reappearance and seems to be trying to move back into the picture now that she has become such a phenomenon.  I found Sam's historical counterpart in The Wicked Wallflower to be highly irritating and it was funny that those feelings moved on to Sam.

Another part of The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild that I enjoyed was the mixing of the historical and contemporary.  I am huge fan of historical romance so it was a blast to read about Jane's writing process and how she was inspired by her own life.  I have read The Wicked Wallflower and I think that helped increase my enjoyment of these scenes since I could easily spot the tidbits that moved from one story to the other.  While I don't think reading the historical romances is required to enjoy the Bad Boy books, I highly recommend it!

All in all, I really like where Ms. Rodale is taking this series and how she is developing Jane's romance to mirror the relationships of the Wallflower girls.  Jane is really coming in to her own as a character and I love watching that development.  The ending was very sweet and is making me want to see what happens next with Duke, Jane, and Sam.  And, of course, I can't wait to read Wallflower Gone Wild when it comes out.

4 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Fever -- Definitely graphic, but still emotional descriptions.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Wicked Wallflower
1.5. The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement
2. Wallflower Gone Wild (Coming 2014)
2.5. The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild
3. What a Wallflower Wants (Coming 2014)
3.5. The Bad Boy Billionaire: What a Girl Wants (Coming 2014)

CHALLENGES READ FOR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.