Sunday, March 9, 2014

NEWS AND LINKS: March 8th

I have seen similar posts on other blogs and thought I would give it a try on my own.  I find the Internet to be a fascinating thing (for the most part) and love to share fun or thought-provoking links with others.  I also thought I would take this time to talk about things that I have discovered in the worlds of books, television, movies, and music.

Second Star

1. I love retellings of fairy tales, classics, and mythology so I'm intrigued by Alyssa B. Sheinmel's Peter Pan-inspired teen romance, Second Star.  It seems to be getting mixed reviews, but I think I'll get it from the library and decide for myself.  It releases on May 13th.

Murasaki Shikibu published the first novel ever, The Tale of Genji , in 1021.
2. Yesterday (March 8th) was International Women's Day and, to celebrate, Buzzfeed created a list of Extraordinary Women of History You Need to Know.  My personal favorite is Murasaki Shikibu who published The Tale of Genji, the first novel ever, in 1021.


3. Wizard World Comic Con is coming to my hometown, Louisville, and they are releasing the names of all the amazing people who are going to be there.  Some of the ones I'm most excited to see are Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (Doctor Who), James Marsters (Buffy), and Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings).


4. Here's a great link I found through Smexybooks's comment section that has some sexy British men reciting poetry and classic literature scenes.  I think my favorite is David Tennant's rendition of Sonnet 18.


5. My Olympic obsession has been able to continue, thanks to NBC Sports' broadcasting of the 2014 Paralympics in Sochi.  I've been taping them when they come on in the middle of the night and spend way too much time watching the downhill competition.  If you get a chance to watch these athletes, it is so inspiring and fascinating.


6. I have a new favorite TV Show: Hollywood Game Night on NBC at 9 pm.  It is hosted by the wonderful Jane Lynch and has celebrities (and regular people) participating in various "party games" to earn money.  It is so funny...give it a try and I know you will love it.


7. One of the causes that is dearest to my heart is animal rescue so I fell in love with this photographer's series about rescue pets and how much they have changed their adopters lives.  Check it out here and have some tissues at hand.

HAVE A FABULOUS REST OF THE WEEKEND AND, AS ALWAYS, HAPPY READING!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh fun! Thanks for all the links Jennifer. Hope you enjoy your taped Olympics :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.