Sunday, March 2, 2014

FAIRYTALE SURVEY


I love surveys and fairy tales so I was super pumped to discover this survey created by Mel at The Daily Prophecy.

PART 1. CLASSIC PRINCESSES.1. Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?


I can't think of any specific books off the top of my head, but I'm sure I've lied about a few romance novels that I've enjoyed like the bodice-rippers that aren't the most progressive when it comes to the depiction of women.

2. Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?

Easily the early books in Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series.  These are so creative yet the covers are cheesy and cheap-looking.

3. Snow white – Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?

The only time I've ever done that is The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff and it was amazing so I think I need to do that more often.

4. Sleeping beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true loves kiss.
What is your favorite book couple?

Too many to count...but off the top of my head I would say...Cat and Bones -- Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost and Kate/Anthony -- The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn.

5. Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?

I don't usually branch out of the genres that I normally read, but I do read a lot of different ones on a regular basis like historical romance, paranormal romance, urban fantasy, contemporary romance, YA fiction, male/male romance, and historical fiction.  The latest book that was different for me was The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth. 

6. Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?

Probably Written in Red by Anne Bishop, a dark urban fantasy that grabs you early on and never lets go.  My review can be found here.

7. Rapunzel – locked up in a tower.
What is the worst books you’ve read last month?

The only DNF I've had this year was The Trouble with Honor by Julia London.  I usually like London's writing style, but I found this one very boring.

PART 2. MIX-MATCH.8. Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?

Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund is a charming and original retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel in a dystopian setting.  My review can be found here.

9. Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole.
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?

JD Robb's In Death series which takes place in 2050s New York.

10. East of the Sun and West of the Moon – Where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?

MacKayla Lane -- Fever series by Karen Marie Moning -- She is a perfect example of how much a character can change over the course of a series.

11. The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?

Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan -- I'm not a horror fan, but I really enjoyed this ride.

12. Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favorite and why?

Fred and George Weasley from Harry Potter -- Obvious, but they really kept things light-hearted.
Zsadist and Phury from the Black Dagger Brotherhood series -- Twins who have issues, but always have each other's back.

13. Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen -- The concept seemed perfect for me, but I found the actual story boring and never finished it.

14. Rumpelstilskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?

Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair -- A science fiction romance with a cyborg who is secretly in love with his nemesis.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun. I really like some of your answers. I do agree with you about the covers of the psy changeling series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so completely in the boat with you guys about the covers of the Psy-Changeling series. I would really cry if those covers ever did make some people shy away or dismiss altogether this series. Those people would have missed out on a really great series. I like the UK editions of the cover though.

    This is such a fun survey. Will it be alright if I did this on my blog as well? Thanks for sharing Jennifer. :)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead! Mel at The Daily Prophecy created it so I'm sure as long as you credit her, you're fine. The Psy-Changeling books are some of my favorites and I hate that they were shackled with such horrible covers for so long. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh man! J.D. Robb I 100% agree with and Fred & George! I only really like Zsadist, there's something about Phury that I just can't deal with. His book infuriated me beyond belief.

    This survey was so much fun to do :D

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.