Tuesday, February 4, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books That Will Make You Cry


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~TOP TEN BOOKS THAT WILL MAKE YOU CRY~

The Fault in Our StarsThe Book ThiefThe Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)Thirteen Reasons Why

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John  Green (YA contemporary)
Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but a Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile.
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (YA historical fiction)
His soul sat up. It met me. Those kinds of souls always do - the best ones. The ones who rise up and say "I know who you are and I am ready. Not that I want to go, of course, but I will come." Those souls are always light because more of them have been put out. More of them have already found their way to other places.
3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (YA dystopian)
I bite my lip feeling inferior. While I've been ruminating on the availability of trees, Peeta has been struggling with how to maintain his identity. His purity of self. "Do you mean you won't kill anyone?" I ask.
"No, when the time comes, I'm sure I'll kill just like everybody else. I can't go down without a fight. Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to... to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games," says Peeta.
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling (MG fantasy)
Every second he breathed, the smell of the grass, the cool air on his face, was so precious: To think that people had years and years, time to waste, so much time it dragged, and he was clinging to each second.
5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (YA contemporary)
You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.
Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Always to Remember

6. Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole (paranormal romance)

He gave a nod, then drew in the sand. An infinity symbol? "Clever demon, how did you know that...?" He was gazing at her with a question in his eyes.  "Bound forever?" And somehow she met his gaze and lied, "Yes, demon. Bound forever."  As if to make her feel guiltier, he gathered her into his arms, cupping her face against his broad chest. His voice a deep rumble, he said, "Carrow is Malkom's."

7. Lover Awakened by JR Ward (paranormal romance)

He glanced back down at the pencil in his hand and then turned to the table. Flipping the spiral notebook to a new page, he bent way over and labored on top of the paper for quite a while. Then he ripped the sheet free. His hand was shaking as he held it out. "It's messy."
Bella took the paper. In a child's uneven block letters there were three words: I LOVE YOU.
Her lips flattened tight as her eyes stung. The handwriting got wavy and then disappeared.
"Maybe you can't read it," he said in a small voice. "I can do it over."
She shook her head. "I can read it just fine. It's… beautiful."
"I don't expect anything back. I mean… I know that you don't… feel that for me anymore. But I wanted you to know. It's important that you knew."
8. Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (paranormal romance)
"I'm not stupid. I've seen the people who are your friends. None of them look like me. None of them act or speak like me. All of you mock anyone you see who looks or acts like I do. Your kind hates us. You dismiss us. I'm rich and cultured, I come from a noble Roman family, therefore I must think myself above everybody else, so it's okay to be vicious and cold whenever I'm around. We have no feelings to hurt."
9. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (time travel fiction)
"I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."
His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me, "Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well."
10. Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath (historical romance)
From the corner of her eye, she watched Clay walk to his wagon, where he'd find no shade. Isolated. Alone. How simple it would be to prepare him a plate and walk to the wagon to give it to him. How difficult to step into his world of loneliness.

5 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars was definitely a tear jerker for me. I was absolutely hysterical!

    I also cried at The Book Thief, I didn't expect that one as much though!

    Great picks, I need to read Thirteen Reasons why soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks. I loved The Book Thief, such a beautiful book. I picked Deathly Hallows, I pretty much cry from beginning to end when reading that. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list!! Throughout the whole Hunger Games trilogy I was crying like a baby. All of the books just have so many scenes that made me start bawling.
    My TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-tuesday-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief looks so sad, but well worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally forgot about The Book Thief! Lots of crying there!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.