Friday, February 14, 2014

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY -- Love and Romance in Books


Since it is Valentine's Day, I thought I would put the spotlight on some of my favorite love/romance-themed book quotes.  I was inspired by this week's Top Ten Tuesday theme which was "Books That Make Me Swoon."  I used quotes from my chosen books to showcase why they make me swoon and I realized how many great excerpts I could have chosen.  If you are interested in seeing which books make me swoon and why, check out the original post.  BTW, the gifs represent favorite couples in other forms of media besides books.

Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger -- Harry Potter series
"Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. It is about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known."
–Julia Quinn, The Viscount Who Loved Me

"You pierce my soul. I am half-agony, half-hope...I have loved none but you."
–Jane Austen, Persuasion

You don't always have to kiss a lot of frogs to recognize a prince when you find one.
 –Julia Quinn, Minx


Kate Moseley and Doug Dorsey -- The Cutting Edge
I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates, or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together. 
–Lisa Kleypas, Blue-Eyed Devil

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.
 –William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you. 
–Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby


Usagi Tsukino and Mamoru Chiba -- Sailor Moon
I learned that life is so, so fragile. I learned that you can know someone for just days and never forget the impression he left on you. I learned that art can be beautiful and sad at the same time. I learned that if someone loves you, he'll wait for you to love him back. I learned that how much you want something doesn't determine whether you get it or not, that "no" might not be enough, that life isn't fair, that my parents can't save me, that maybe no one can. 
–Beth Revis, Shades of Earth

You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.
 –Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Time has no dominion over love. Love is the one thing that transcends time.
 –Jeaniene Frost, One Foot in the Grave


Belle and the Beast -- Beauty and the Beast
"You are beautiful and brilliant and bold and so very passionate about life and love and those things that you believe in. And you taught me that everything I believed, everything I thought I wanted, everything I had spent my life espousing--all of it...it is wrong. I want your version of life...vivid and emotional and messy and wonderful and filled with happiness. But I cannot have it without you."
–Sarah MacLean, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke’s Heart

Mysteries of attraction could not always be explained through logic. Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls became the very hinges that held them together. 
–Lisa Kleypas, Devil in Winter

I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once. 
–John Green, The Fault In Our Stars


Piper Halliwell and Leo Wyatt -- Charmed
"I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine."
 –Richelle Mead, The Golden Lily

For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It’s a person. And we are finally home. 
–Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss

He’d been waiting for a love fraught with passion and drama; it hadn’t even occurred to him that true love might be something that was utterly comfortable and just plain easy. 
– Julia Quinn, The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After


Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler -- The Big Bang Theory
"I never thought Greek philosophy could make a damn bit of sense to me. And most of it didn't, but those words just seemed right. 'Love is composed of a single soul, inhabiting two bodies." He took her by the shoulders drawing her close. "It rang true for me, in a way nothing else did. Whatever soul I had, Katie, I think I placed it in your keeping twenty years ago. And now, it's as if...every time we kiss, you give a little piece of it back." 
-- Tessa Dare, A Lady By Midnight 

"We are all imperfect creatures, love. I don’t want perfect. I just want you." 
– Kristen Callihan, Moonglow

And of course the word love has many shades of meaning, as do many, many of the words in our living, breathing language 
-- Mary Balogh, Slightly Dangerous

2 comments:

  1. Aws LOVE it! What wonderful quotes/gifs. I so remember the Cutting Edge. Been ages! Happy Valentine's Day Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful quote and video clips. I do love charmed, makes me want to go re watch the show now.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.