Thursday, January 23, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY-HISTORICAL ROMANCE EDITION (10)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.


THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

Morning Glory Morning Glory

MORNING GLORY
by LaVyrle Spencer

Originally Published in 1989

LOVE IN A STRANGER'S EYES...

ELLY
In town, they called her "Crazy Widow Dinsmore." But Elly was no stranger to their ridicule--she had been an outsider all her life, growing up in a boarded-up old house under the strict eye of her eccentric grandparents. Now she was all alone, with two little boys to raise, and a third child on the way.

WILL
He drifted into Whitney, Georgia, one lazy afternoon in the summer of 1941, hoping to put his lonely past behind him. He yearned for the tenderness he had never known, the home he'd never had. All he needed was for someone to give him a chance.

Then he saw her classified ad: WANTED--A husband. When he stepped across Elly Dinsmore's cluttered yard, Will Parker knew he had come home at last ...


*******************
This is an Americana historical (early 1940s Georgia) that makes the reader feel every type of emotion possible. While reading, and re-reading this, I've laughed, cried, and practically hugged the book in pure joy. The story of a recently released convict and a plain, pregnant widow sounds like it could go straight into cheesy, but it never does. The situations that Will and Ellie find themselves in at the beginning are heartbreaking which makes the slow development of their feelings for each other that much more enjoyable. My personal favorite parts are the letters that Will and Ellie write to each other while Will is fighting in World War II.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring an american historical. I haven't really ventured beyond English/Scottish hiatorical romances so this is definitely a breath of fresh air. Plus I love slow burn romances. :)

    Here's my pick for the week.

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very rarely read American Historicals (though I'm not sure why), but this one is absolutely amazing. I think it is due to the characterization of Will and Ellie and how their relationship develops. But, I do warn you...have some tissues handy at certain points...real tearjerker!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. This sounds like a really great story about finding love and finding one's self and development.

    I thought it was going to be a horror book when I read the synopsis with Elly and then when I read Will's I was intrigued. And then I read your take and I thought about that new movie with Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin in Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the synopsis of Labor Day sounded familiar to me and that's probably why. I think that movie is based on another book, but definitely similar themes. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this author - or book obviously. I've never read an historical romance set in the 1940s! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't a setting I usually search for, but I was recommended this book by a ton of people when I started reading romance years ago. It can be emotionally draining though the payoff is definitely worth it. Such awesome characters that are beyond the norm when it comes to romance heroes and heroines. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Oooh this looks good! I love the books that make you feel every emotion possible, throw you through the wringer and make you hug the book within 100 pages!
    Will have a look out for this one Jennifer!
    ~Tilly @ hardcore heroines (http://www.hardcoreheroines.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This definitely sounds different to the usual historical romances I read. But I love a tearjerker, so I'll have to add it to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.