Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, January 13, 2014

NOVELLA REVIEW: "The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement" by Maya Rodale

The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1.5)
The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement by Maya Rodale
(Bad Boys and Wallflowers #1.5)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (sex, language)
Contemporary Romance
Avon Impulse -- December 31, 2013
Ebook, 100 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Novella, Contemporary Romance, First Person Narrative, Alpha Hero

SUMMARY
Jane Sparks has accidentally announced her engagement on Facebook—to the infamous Bad Boy Billionaire, Duke Austen. As soon as it’s discovered that Jane and Duke barely know each other (One hot kiss at a party does not a relationship make), she’ll be humiliated. And then Duke does something Jane never expected. He plays along with her charade.

With his hard partying, playboy reputation jeopardizing a fifty million dollar investment deal, Duke realizes an engagement with the hot but oh-so-proper librarian could be just the thing to repair his reputation. This good girl tempts him to be very wicked…but just with her. It’s unprecedented. Inconceivable. Totally alluring.

As the unlikely match of librarian and tech entrepreneur set out to convince the world—and the internet—that their love is real, something unexpected happens: they start falling for each other. But Jane is secretly writing a historical romance novel that could expose their carefully constructed romance…unless two perfect strangers are content to be perfectly scandalous together.

FIRST LINE
"As the future Mrs. Sam Chase, I never went to glamorous and raucous New York City parties like this."

MY THOUGHTS
This novella is a part of a series (Bad Boys and Wallflowers) where the contemporary heroine is inspired by her own interactions with a rake/billionaire to write historical romances which are published as real full-length novels.  I read and enjoyed the first historical (The Wicked Wallflower) and was interested to see how Rodale connected the two genres.  While it was not perfect, I found The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement to be so much fun and a great look at the trend of billionaire heroes in romance.

Our heroine (and the "author" of the The Wicked Wallflower and Wallflower Gone Wild) is Jane Sparks, a librarian whose life was changed dramatically when her longtime boyfriend broke up with her and she left her hometown to move to New York.  I really liked Jane's personality.  She is intelligent, genuine, and so funny.  The whole librarian thing was just a bonus for me and I thought she handled her unusual situation pretty well.

The titular "bad boy billionaire" is Duke Austen who was not exactly what I was expecting.  He is a technology genius who has had quite a bit of bad luck with his projects.  In order to get support for his latest venture, Duke needs to prove that he is more than a party boy which is where Jane and the Facebook engagement come in.  I thought his character was interesting, but I feel like I need more time to really decide what I think about him.  I am anxious to see a more vulnerable side of this seemingly perfect hero in the next novella.

The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement focuses on Jane and Duke's first meeting and the beginning of their "relationship".  This means that things are primarily physical between them and there is only a little bit of emotion involved.  But, I can definitely see potential in their relationship and am excited to see more.  I also have to give a shout-out to Maya Rodale for some wonderfully spicy scenes that I am not used to seeing in her historicals.

Overall, I enjoyed this novella with its intelligent characters, fascinating potential romance, and some wonderful commentary on current literary trends.  I do wish that it had been a little longer, but it makes me happy that the next Jane/Duke story is being released soon.  I definitely recommend this series especially if, like me, you enjoy contemporary and historical romances.

3.5 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Fever -- Definitely graphic, but still emotional descriptions.


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Wicked Wallflower
1.5. The Bad Boy Billionaire's Wicked Arrangement
2. Wallflower Gone Wild (Coming 2014)
2.5. The Bad Boy Billionaire's Girl Gone Wild (Coming 2014)

CHALLENGES READ FOR
 http://paranormalbookreviews-kelly.blogspot.com/2013/11/2014-reading-challenge-seriously-series.html

2 comments:

  1. I've got these on my tbr pile! That's such a neat set up for a series switching back and forth like that. Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fun concept. Rodale is definitely showing her range with it too. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.