Monday, January 27, 2014

NOVELLA REVIEW: "Among the Nameless Stars"


Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
Among the Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund
(For Darkness Shows the Stars #0.5)

Goodreads -- Amazon 
Author Website

For Ages 13+ (language)
Young Adult -- Science Fiction/Dystopian
Harper Collins -- June 4, 2012
Ebook, 60 pages
Purchased from Amazon (FREE!!)

THEMES
Novella, Retelling

SUMMARY
Four years before the events of FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, the servant Kai left the North Estate, the only home he’d ever known, and Elliot North, the only girl he ever loved, in search of a better life. But the journey was not an easy one.

FIRST LINE
"The first week was the hardest."

MY THOUGHTS
Prequel novellas are not usually my cup of tea, but I enjoyed For Darkness Shows the Stars enough that I wanted to know what really happened to Kai after he left the North estate.  Among the Nameless Stars is a creative and action-packed mini-story that will provide either a great introduction to Peterfreund's world or give existing fans an insight into Kai's story.

This series takes place in a dystopian future where humanity was desecrated by mental disorder known as Reduction.  Peterfreund doesn't go too far into this disease in Among the Nameless Stars, but teases readers enough that they understand this is a dark time.  I think it just the perfect amount of world building for a prequel since it definitely would have wet my appetite if I hadn't already read For Darkness Shows the Stars.

Kai is a former servant who has escaped from an estate and is trying to build a life for himself.  His character is a little difficult to get an impression on in For Darkness Shows the Stars, but he emerged as a well-developed and engaging personality from the beginning of this novella.  Readers get to understand why he left the only home he had ever known and just how much he misses his great love, Elliot.  His unsent letters to Elliot were easily my favorite parts of the whole story!

I don't want to say too much more in order to avoid spoiling both Among the Nameless Stars and For Darkness Shows the Stars, but I highly recommend this entire series!  The world building is creative, the characters are likable, and the romance of Kai/Elliot is just so sweet.

4 STARS

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Among the Nameless Stars
1. For Darkness Shows the Stars
1.5. First Star to Fall
2. Among the Star-Swept Sea

CHALLENGES READ FOR
http://paranormalbookreviews-kelly.blogspot.com/2013/11/2014-reading-challenge-seriously-series.html
 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I haven't read For Darkness Shows the Stars, and I'm not sure I'm going to. But you know I LOVED Across a Star-Swept Sea, and I did pick up the prequel to that. I will for sure be reading it soon. I'm glad you liked this. Prequel novellas are hard, I think, to get into.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.