Tuesday, December 31, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Historical Romances I Read in 2013


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~TOP TEN HISTORICAL ROMANCES I READ IN 2013~


I've already done my favorite books with Fiktshun's Top 10 of 2013 event so I decided to focus on historical romance since that is the genre I read the most in this year.  As always, there is no order to the following list.

The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)  The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
1. The Heiress Effect and The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan
Books 2 and 3 in the Brothers Sinister series which continues to be so refreshing in this genre especially when it comes to female characters.  The Heiress Effect deals with a heroine willing to do anything to remain unmarried while The Countess Conspiracy focuses on a lady scientist and her efforts to keep her identity a secret.

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
2. Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster
A debut that completely blew me away at the beginning of this year.  This series takes place in a steampunk version of Victorian London with vampires, shifters, and plenty of cyber technology.  The hero of this book, Blade, is one of my new fictional boyfriends and his heroine is almost as intriguing.

Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)  Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
3. Lord of Darkness and Duke of Midnight by Elizabeth Hoyt
Another case of an author that had two amazing books I couldn't choose from.  These are the latest in the fabulous Maiden Lane series.  These two specifically deal with the mysterious Ghost of St. Giles whose identity has gotten more complex.  

Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
4. Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare
The conclusion of the Spindle Cove series which gives Dare a perfect 4/4 on five star ratings for me when it comes to these books.  This one specifically deals with an across-the-tracks romance between a barmaid and a wealthy duke.  It is just as charming and satisfying as Dare's other books.

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
5. One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah MacLean
Second in the Rules of Scoundrels series which deals with the owners of a popular gaming club, The Fallen Angel.  This specific book focuses on the bookkeeper of the club (Cross) and the science-minded Lady Philippa who is trying to research the more scandalous side of London.

Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
6. Never Love a Highlander by Maya Banks
The conclusion to the popular McCabe trilogy that I won't go into too much detail about since the identity of the heroine is supposed to be a surprise.  This entire series was amazing, but this one was easily the best.  Highly recommended for fans of Highland romance.

Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
7. Winterblaze by Kristen Callihan
An amazing mix of historical and paranormal romance that focuses on couple that has been married for years, but have some major secrets.  Poppy Lane is one of my favorite heroines of 2013 and her attempts to discover the truth about her mother's past is worth the time.

Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)
8. Lord of Wicked Intentions by Lorraine Heath
Easily my favorite of this trilogy about three aristocratic brothers who were cruelly separated as children and spent their years apart very differently.  This is the conclusion and focuses on the most intriguing brother, Rafe, who runs a gaming hell despite his noble background.

Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
9. Sweet Revenge by Zoe Archer
My first Archer book that showed me what I have been missing for all this years.  This the beginning of a new series about a group trying to gain justice for the unfortunate in London society.  The hero is a convicted felon who is broken out of prison by the heroine in one of the best beginnings I've read in awhile.

When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
10. When She Said I Do by Celeste Bradley
I love a good fairy tale retelling and Bradley does an admirable job with this Beauty and the Beast-inspired romance.  The hero is appropriately tortured, the heroine is spunky though never annoying, and there is also a complicated family just to spice things up even more.

Honorable Mentions: Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James, Never Desire a Duke by Lily Dalton, When She Was Wicked by Anne Barton, The Wicked Wallflower by Maya Rodale

4 comments:

  1. Most of these were some of my top favorites as well. I really loved lord of wicked intentions and I the highlander romance trilogy from banks is amazing! Happy new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've mentioned a few times, I'm SOOOO into the historical romance lately, and I'm totally going to pick out the ones you mentioned here. Particularly Tessa Dare and Sarah MacLean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love historical romances too.. and have read a few on your list here and agree with your comments on them..
    the others, they are going into my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love historical romance and I haven't read any of these titles; I'm bookmarking this list and adding most of them to my TBR list. Only one HR made my TTT list: Mary Balogh's The Arrangement. Although Julia Quinn's The Sum of All Kisses came awfully close to being included!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.