Monday, December 23, 2013

TOP 10 OF 2013: Best Books of 2013



Hosted by Fiktshun.

DAY ONE: Best Books I Read in 2013

Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
1. Heart of Obsidian (Psy Changeling #12) by Nalini Singh (paranormal romance)
I had high expectations for this installment with the identity of infamous Ghost revealed and Ms. Singh met every single one of them.  This series is one of the best in paranormal romance and this book just turned things up even more. [MY REVIEW]

Fangirl
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (YA contemporary)
A fabulous look at the world of fanfiction from the point of view of a college freshmen dealing with some life issues of her own.  My first by Ms. Rowell and will definitely not be my last. [MY REVIEW]

Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
3. Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove #4) by Tessa Dare (historical romance)
A great ending to a wonderful series!  This particular installment focuses on a wealthy duke who chooses a poor barmaid as his wife-in-training.  [MY REVIEW]

The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
4. The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines #4) by Richelle Mead (YA paranormal)
The adventures of Sydney, Adrian, Eddie, and Jill continue and things are really heating up.  One thing that stands out in this book is the alternating points of view of Sydney and Adrian.  [MY REVIEW]

The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
5. The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister #3) by Courtney Milan (historical romance)
I just finished this last night, but it made such an impact on me that I had to put it on this list.  I have always been fascinated by lady scientists in the 19th century and Milan provides a wonderful (and sometimes heartbreaking) look at this inspiring women.

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
6. Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) by Beth Revis (YA science fiction)
A powerful and tearjerking ending to an already emotional trilogy.  The experiences of Amy, Elder, and the inhabitants of the spaceship Godspeed are definitely something I would recommend to most readers.  [MY REVIEW]

Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
7. Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane #6) by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance)
Superhero-inspired historical involving a powerful lord with a cold-hearted reputation and the woman who seeks his help to save her imprisoned brother.  Ms. Hoyt just gets better and better with her writing and this is no exception.  [MY REVIEW]

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
8. Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer (YA science fiction)
The sequel to 2012's mega-hit, Cinder, that might not be as good as the first in the series, but was a worthy installment in its own right.  I loved the fairy tale elements that Meyer mixes almost effortlessly with the complex science fiction.  [MY REVIEW]

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
9. Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk #1) by Bec McMaster (steampunk romance)
This is the book that started my 2013 obsession with steampunk.  The hero, Blade, is one of my favorites of the year and the setting is so vivid that I can smell the smoke and feel the cold.  [MY REVIEW]

My Bluegrass Baby (Bluegrass, #1)
10. My Bluegrass Baby (Bluegrass #1) by Molly Harper (contemporary romance)
Ms. Harper is one of my favorite authors and I loved this homage to tourism in my home state of Kentucky.  It has everything I want in a contemporary: well-developed characters, sense of humor, and plenty of steamy chemistry.  [MY REVIEW]

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)    Amy and Roger's Epic Detour A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3) Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)  When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1) Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3) Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1) Origin (Lux, #4) Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2) Illumination One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1)


5 comments:

  1. Yay for Tessa Dare and Elizabeth Hoyt, both were amazing reads! Did you hear that Elizabeth Hoyt is continuing the Maiden Lane series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that and I am super pumped! I'm especially excited to see Apollo Greaves get his own story. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I'm always happy when I have way more than one favorite book of the year. It means I read LOTS of amazing books, and that's always a good thing. And it sure looks like you read tons of great books this year. I loved Scarlet, too! And I can't wait to read something by Tessa Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised that I haven't read any of your books, except One Week Girlfriend, but I plan on trying Nalini Singh's books next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I thought about putting Heart of Obsidian, as well as Any Duchess Will Do on my list, as well! They were SO good, I absolutely agree with you!!

    Thank you for stopping by BookExhibitionism earlier!

    Hope to see you tomorrow again, but if not: Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.