Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, December 9, 2013

REVIEW: "The Chocolate Thief" by Laura Florand


The Chocolate Thief (Chocolate, #1)
The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand
(Amour et Chocolat #1)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Contemporary Romance
Kensington -- July 31, 2012
Ebook, 320 pages
Borrowed from Library

THEMES
Unusual Setting, Unconventional Hero  

SUMMARY
Paris...Breathtakingly beautiful, the City of Light seduces the senses, its cobbled streets thrumming with possibility. For American Cade Corey, it's a dream come true, if only she can get one infuriating French chocolatier to sign on the dotted line. . .

Chocolate...Melting, yielding yet firm, exotic, its secrets are intimately known to Sylvain Marquis. But turn them over to a brash American waving a fistful of dollars? Jamais. Not unless there's something much more delectable on the table. . .

Stolen Pleasure...Whether confections taken from a locked shop or kisses in the dark, is there anything sweeter?

FIRST LINE
"Sylvain Marquis knew what a woman desired: chocolate."

MY THOUGHTS
Contemporary romance is a genre that I enjoy, but it is has never been one that I gravitate towards.  But, I have heard so many great things about this series that I knew I had to try it.  I found The Chocolate Thief to be a sweet romance that provides a great introduction to Florand's writing style.  The characters were likable (for the most part), the love story was adorable, and the parts about chocolate just made me hungry.

Our heroine is Cade Corey, granddaughter of the founder of the Corey Bars company and daughter of its current C.E.O.  Basically, her family is a fictional version of the Hershey corporation with the headquarters even being in a East Coast town bearing the family name.  Cade has been bred to be the next head of the company by her father and grandfather and she is well-prepared for the role.  But, her real love is gourmet chocolate and she has a dream of helping Corey Bars open a more upscale brand of chocolate for a European market.  And to obtain that, Cade needs help from some of the world's best chocolate artisans with her number one target being Paris's Sylvain Marquis.  Sylvain Marquis is considered Paris's best chocolatier and he has worked hard for that distinction.  He is a bit of a chocolate snob so he does not take too kindly to Cade's attempts to get him involved in her new line.

I really liked both Cade and Sylvain.  They are two relatable people who are very good at their individual careers and still have a heavy dose of ambition.  I loved getting to see Paris through Cade's eyes because of her obsession and how it meshes with her dreams.  I have never been there and I am dying to go now.  I enjoyed getting to see Cade's determination to achieve her dream and how she showed Sylvain (and others) that there was more to her than a spoiled, daddy's girl playing at being a business woman.  Sylvain, for his part, was very sexy and seductive.  It doesn't hurt that he spends his days making beautiful (and delicious) chocolate treats either!  There is also an element of vulnerability with him that I thought made him stand out from normal contemporary heroes.

Their romance was pretty entertaining with Cade doing everything she can to convince Sylvain to help her and Sylvain refusing while battling his own attraction to her.  Things really heat up when Cade decides to sneak into the shop to discover what makes Marquis chocolate so fabulous.  Her escapades and hidden identity become an Internet sensation both in Paris and around the world.  Despite their public animosity, Cade and Sylvain can't help running into each other around town and start to learn more than their initial impressions.  I loved the little moments where they walked around the city together!

I did think the whole Chocolate Thief plotline was a little over-the-top.  It was funny at first, but started to escalate too far for my taste.  I also thought that the ending felt rushed.  Everything was slowly developing and then it was like the author realized that there were only a few chapters left and things needed to be tied up quickly.  It just left me feeling a little cheated at the end.

Despite those few little issues, I really enjoyed The Chocolate Thief.  Laura Florand's writing is sharp and clever and her characters are a breath of fresh air at times.  I am definitely looking forward to more in this series and recommend it to anyone who loves a little dessert with their books.

3.5 STARS


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Chocolate Thief
2. The Chocolate Kiss
3. The Chocolate Rose
4. The Chocolate Touch
5. The Chocolate Heart
6. The Chocolate Temptation (Coming 2014) 

2 comments:

  1. This series seems super cute. I wouldn't mind reading this, but it isn't at the top of my list. All the chocolate sounds yummy, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You've started her Amour et Chocolat series. I hope you enjoy the rest of her books. For me, Laura Florand's writing has gotten better with each book she releases so my love for her and this series just kept growing and growing after every book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.