quotes Jennifer likes


"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."— Jane Austen

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

NOVEMBER 2013 READS

I'm trying something new!  I used to do a weekly recap associated with my Stacking the Shelves post on Saturdays, but I've gotten bored with that format.  So I'm going to provide my readers with a list of all the books that I read during the month and provide a little insight into what I thought about each of them.  So here it goes!

My November 2013 Reads (in ratings order)

The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
THE FIERY HEART (BLOODLINES #4) BY RICHELLE MEAD
5 Stars
Young Adult, Paranormal
[BLOG REVIEW]
Every time I think Richelle Mead can't make me fall more in love with her Bloodlines series, she completely proves me wrong. And I couldn't be happier about it! The Fiery Heart takes place shortly after the conclusion of The Indigo Spell with Sydney and Adrian's worlds continuing to get more complicated. I loved almost everything about this book from the evolution of Sydney and Adrian as characters and a couple to the side characters to the supernatural setting as a whole.

Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
FISH & CHIPS (CUT & RUN #3) BY ABIGAIL ROUX AND MADELEINE URBAN
5 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Contemporary
[BLOG REVIEW]
What really makes this series stand out is Ty and Zane and their relationship with each other. Each book provides readers with more insight into the guys' characters which helps us appreciate them more and more. By making the guys portay a married couple, the authors allowed them to develop an intimacy that hadn't been evident before. On this mission they didn't need to hide their relationship and it felt a little freeing despite the fact that they had to pretend to be someone else the entire time. 
Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
CRASH INTO YOU (PUSHING THE LIMITS #3) BY KATIE MCGARRY
4.5 Stars
Young Adult, Contemporary
[BLOG REVIEW]
I found Crash Into You to be a great addition to the repertoire of Katie McGarry. I don't think it was as good as Pushing the Limits or Dare You To (my favorite), but it was right up there. The characters were well-developed and the romance was super sweet...if a little on the quick side in terms of development.
The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
THE WICKED WALLFLOWER (BAD BOYS AND WALLFLOWERS #1) BY MAYA RODALE
4 Stars
Adult, Historical Romance
[BLOG REVIEW]
I love a good wallflower/rake romance which is one of the reasons I was drawn to this book. The meeting of opposites (in society's mind) is always intriguing. Emma and Blake are an example of a couple that shouldn't work, but they ended up being perfect for one another.
 All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love, #1)
ALL IN WITH THE DUKE (GAMBLING WITH LOVE #1) BY AVA MARCH 
4 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Historical
[BLOG REVIEW]
Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable story with two likable heroes who are perfect for one another. Everything that I have come to expect in an Ava March historical was here from the angst to the trust issues to the hot sex. I am definitely looking forward to more in this series.
Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
PROVOKED (ENLIGHTENMENT #1) BY JOANNA CHAMBERS
4 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Historical
Interesting m/m historical that really emphasizes the issues gay men faced in this time period.

The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
THE SUM OF ALL KISSES (SMYTHE-SMITH #3) BY JULIA QUINN
4 Stars
Adult, Historical Romance
[BLOG REVIEW]
Hugh and Sarah's relationship starts off pretty rocky and could be defined as an example of the hate-to-love theme. And I find this type of story so entertaining! I love it when characters are thrown into awkward situations that force them to see things from another side and discover that maybe their arch nemesis isn't so bad after all. Plus it is always fun to read the snarky comments and banter between such characters and Hugh and Sarah didn't disappoint me.
Shock & Awe (Sidewinder, #1)
SHOCK & AWE (SIDEWINDER #1) BY ABIGAIL ROUX 
4 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Contemporary
[BLOG REVIEW]

This is a short, but emotional story which forces two friends to look beyond their normal relationship in the hopes of finding something new. I do not recommend reading this unless you are familiar with the C&R world because I don't think the characters are appropriately developed without being caught up on all the drama in that series.
The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1)
THE CHOCOLATE THIEF (AMOUR ET CHOCOLAT #1) BY LAURA FLORAND
3.5 Stars
Adult, Contemporary Romance
[BLOG REVIEW]
I found The Chocolate Thief to be a sweet romance that provides a great introduction to Florand's writing style. The characters were likable (for the most part), the love story was adorable, and the parts about chocolate just made me hungry.
Winter's Heat (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1.5)
WINTER'S HEAT (NEMESIS UNLIMITED #1.5) BY ZOE ARCHER
3.5 Stars
Adult, Historical Romance
[BLOG REVIEW]
The romance between Ada and Michael was a great combination of sweet and sexy. The fact that they knew each other before this story helped with the insta-love element that often happens in novellas. Their sexual tension was well-written and they both really came alive when bantering back and forth.
Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water #2)
LONG TIME GONE (HELL OR HIGH WATER #2) BY S.E. JAKES
3.5 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Contemporary
Tom and Prophet are such fabulous characters that I was excited to read this sequel toCatch a Ghost. Things ended pretty abruptly for these two in the last book so it was great to see them come together again. I loved the chemistry between them and how easily they understood one another. The mystery subplot was a great balance with the romance and I found myself on the edge of my seat at certain points.
Flowers for Him
FLOWERS FOR HIM BY MARIE SEXTON AND ROWAN SPEEDWELL
3 Stars
Adult, Male/Male Romance, Contemporary
I absolutely loved the beginning of this book. Chandler and Neil are both intriguing characters and their initial attraction was fun to read. However, things went downhill for me after they started sleeping together. I think their relationship just moved too fast. It was great to see Chandler learn to live a little and Neil learn to not assume anything, but I wanted more.

3 comments:

  1. I've got the Maya book on my tbr list. I haven't tried her yet but sounds really good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I like this new post idea! It's like there's short reviews for all these books - perfect if you're in a hurry.

    I am realyl excited to read The Wicked Wallflower. I've been in such an Historical Romance mood and almost nothing else interests me right now.

    And yay for JQ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning on reading the Maya Rodale's book soon, I have always enjoyed her books so I am excited. Winter's Heat I have been really wanting to try out, I may get it for Christmas. :) Looks like some great books you have gotten read.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.