Wednesday, December 18, 2013

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "I'm Dreaming of an Undead Christmas" by Molly Harper

I'm Dreaming of an Undead Christmas (Half-Moon Hollow, #2.6)
I'm Dreaming of an Undead Christmas by Molly Harper; Narrated by Amanda Ronconi
(Half-Moon Hollow #2.5)
For Ages 18+
Paranormal Romance -- Vampires
Audible -- December 5, 2013
Audiobook, 3 hours and 43 minutes
Available for free at Audible

THEMES
Novella, Comedy, First Person Narrative, Vampires  

SUMMARY
It's Christmas in Half-Moon Hollow and newly turned vampire Iris Scanlon-Calix wants to make Gigi's first visit home from college as normal and special as possible. It's taken months for Iris to work up the nerve to spend time around her baby sister after her vampire transition, so she enlists help from Jane Jameson and Company to keep her blood-thirst under control and assure Gigi's safety.

Gigi, on the other hand, has problems of her own, including the demise of her relationship with high school sweetheart, Ben, and a looming job interview with Ophelia Lambert, the scariest potential employer in the Hollow. And then there's the small matter of the handsome, frustrating vampire who keeps appearing in Gigi's peripheral vision, then disappearing before she can talk to him.

Can the Scanlon sisters negotiate romantic problems, vampire politics, and Christmas cookie disasters and enjoy a relatively normal holiday?

MY THOUGHTS
I'm Dreaming of an Undead Christmas is a fun romp that provides readers with a peek at the holidays in Half-Moon Hollow, Kentucky.  The narrator, and heroine, is Gigi Scanlon, younger sister of Iris from The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires.  It has been three years since Iris and Gigi became fully engulfed in the vampire world and it is the first Christmas since Iris transitioned into a vampire.

Gigi is a character that I found intriguing in her sister's book and I enjoyed getting to learn more about her.  She has definitely matured since her first appearance, but she still has that wide-eyed twenty something manner which I thought was endearing, for the most part.  Gigi is dealing with a lot of issues that most readers can relate to such as figuring out a career path and dealing with the fact that her high school sweetheart may not be the forever guy.  While she was not perfect, I appreciated the realistic approach that Gigi took towards these issues especially in regards to making her own decision about her professional career even if Iris and Cal weren't fond of it.  I hope we will get a conclusion to her story soon because I think there is a lot more going on with the mysterious vampire and Gigi's new position with the council.

I am a huge fan of Harper's supernatural world so I was excited to listen to this novella and learn what my favorite characters are up to.  There is a steady stream of familiar faces that pop up in this book.  I loved seeing the return of Jane and Gabriel (who first made me obsessed with this world), hunky teen vampire Jamie (who blows Edward Cullen out of the water), Dick Cheney (my favorite bad boy vampire), and Ophelia (a terrifying vampire in the body of a teenaged girl).  I do think that this novella could be a little overwhelming to someone who is not familiar with these characters.  There is a lot of history and inside jokes that may not come across well to Harper newbies.

The narration by Amanda Ronconi is spot-on, as usual.  I love how she is able to change up the voices for the heroines that she uses so that I always know who is talking.  I think this is especially impressive because most of these women were narrators for their own stories so their voices are very familiar.  

Overall, I thought this was an entertaining look at some delightful characters trying to handle the holidays like most of us.  Things are just a bit different because of the whole vampire angle.  The ending was a bit abrupt, but I'm hoping that is because we will be seeing a continuation soon.


3.5 STARS


1 comment:

  1. Seems like a nice addition to the series. Never thought about what Christmas must be like for vampires before. :) About the ending being abrupt - I find it is often that way it novellas. They're short fiction after all, but indeed some are better written than others. It's nice that it's available for free as well.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.