Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, November 8, 2013

NOVELLA REVIEW: "Entwined" by Kristen Callihan

Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
Entwined by Kristen Callihan
(Darkest London #3.5)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Historical/Paranormal Romance
Forever -- November 5, 2013
Ebook, 40 pages
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Mistaken Identity, Virgin Hero

SUMMARY
Eamon Evernight has always lived in his older brother's shadow. While his brother is fair of hair and lithe in body, Eamon sparks fear with his fiery locks and massive frame-and rumors of a mysterious power. But when his brother has the good fortune to be betrothed to a beautiful stranger, it's Eamon's help-and quick wit and romantic heart--that he needs. Eamon agrees to write the noble lady...a generous offer that will forever leave him a changed man.

Lady Luella Jane Moran has no interest in an arranged marriage and tries valiantly to dissuade her betrothed from afar. Though her own letters plainly state her case, the words her husband-to-be writes her leave her aching for his touch. Will Lu give in to the desire the missives have kindled within her? Or will desire turn cold when she discovers their true author?

FIRST LINE
"Dear Sir, it has come to my attention, by way of a most distressing yet undeniable order, that we are to be married."

MY THOUGHTS
Entwined is a short, but powerful story that is part of Callihan's wonderful Darkest London series.  This group of books is paranormal romance set in Victorian England that is becoming known for the detailed supernatural world building and realistic characters.  I think this book would be a great introduction to this author's writing style because it can be read as a stand-alone though fans of the series will be excited to see its greater connections in the epilogue.

The main story line focuses on Eamon Evernight, a quiet man, who tries to save his brother, Aidan's, engagement by writing heartfelt letters to his fiance'.  Unfortunately, things get complicated when Eamon begins to fall in love with Lady Luella who, at first, was hesitant about the arrangement, but changes her mind because of the correspondence.  When Luella's fortunes change and she is forced to meet the Evernight brothers, she quickly begins to discover that something is a little off with her fiance'.  There is just so much in the plot of Entwined that kept my attention from the mistaken identity to the whole falling in love through letters story line.

The two main characters are also entertaining.  Eamon is a powerful-looking man with a reputation that is at odds with his sweet nature.  There is a lot of mystery surrounding him that causes people to be scared of him and I liked how Callihan handled this aspect of his character.  Luella is a great example of how to take a lady character and show that she can be so much more.  I loved the fact that she was vehemently opposed to the engagement to Aidan yet was willing to strike up a friendship with "him" through letters.  Her obsession with horses was very endearing and a great way to showcase her personality.  She also has some secrets of her own that I was not expecting so kudos to the author for that.

Overall, I just found Entwined to be an entertaining and thought-provoking novella that had everything I look for in a romance: lovable characters, sweet love story, and plenty of drama.  I recommend this for anyone who enjoys historical romance or paranormal romance and would love to see how the two genres can be merged together.  The main complaint I have is that I wish there had been more because I loved reading about Eamon and Luella.

I received a free copy of this book through Forever Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.


4 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTE
"I didn't count on you becoming my dearest friend, Lu."  He rose then slowly so she wouldn't bolt.  "I didn't count on falling in love with you."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Ember
1. Firelight
2. Moonglow
3. Winterblaze
3.5. Entwined
4. Shadowdance 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well. Kristen Callihan has so many good books. I'm eagerly anticipating the next book, Shadowdance.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't wait for Shadowdance either especially since we get to learn more about Jack Talent and Mary Chase. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. This is definitely something I would like to try and read. Especially since I love historical romance with a mix of paranormal. Adding to my list right NOW!! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love romances that mix genres. I think that is why I've gotten into steampunk lately. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.