Monday, November 25, 2013

REVIEW: "Crash Into You" by Katie McGarry


Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
Crash Into You by Katie McGarry
(Pushing the Limits #3)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 15+ (Language, Sexual Innuendo, Drugs/Alcohol Use)
Young Adult -- Contemporary
Harlequin Teen -- November 26, 2013
Ebook, 489 pages
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Dual Points of View, Family Problems, Friendships

SUMMARY
The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life-that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind.

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look.  But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.

FIRST LINES
"Eleven years, two months, seven days.  The last time I had physical contact with a blood relative."

MY THOUGHTS

I have thoroughly enjoyed Katie McGarry's first books, Pushing the Limits and Dare You To.  So I had high expectations for Crash Into You and I am happy to say that it met almost all of them.  Isaiah has been an important part in this series so it was great to see his story turn out so well.

What I Liked
---I was intrigued by Isaiah since Pushing the Limits and I was so happy to see him finally take center stage.  His bad boy appearance hides such sweetness and vulnerability which is always fun to discover.  I loved that we got to see what his childhood was like and how he ended up staying with Noah and Beth in the foster home.  It was also great to watch him discover the difference between his feelings for Rachel and what he thought he felt for Beth.

---I continue to love the way that Katie McGarry takes characters who, from their outward appearances, should have everything, but are dangerously close to losing it.  Rachel is no exception to this rule and I connected with her early on in the book.  Her anxiety is a real problem and I liked the respect that was paid to such mental issues.  The situation she is in with her family is difficult, but, unfortunately, not too unusual.  The fact that her mother lost her first daughter to cancer and she is now obsessed with reclaiming her through Rachel is heartbreaking and makes all of Rachel's quirks understandable.

---I thought Rachel's brothers were a great addition to the cast.  They have their own issues that stem from their mother's inability to let their sister be herself, but they showed real loyalty to each other.  Things are not always perfect between these siblings which I think makes it much more real to readers.  I definitely hope to see more of them in the future.

---Rachel and Isaiah meet because of their shared love of racing.  I know very little about this world so I thoroughly enjoyed getting to learn more about it through their experiences.  The writing is well-done enough that I rarely felt lost by all the car talk.  I actually found myself wanting to look some of the stuff up that they were discussing which is always a good sign for me.

---While it was great to get to know such interesting new characters like Rachel and Isaiah's good friend, Abby, I was super excited to see the returns of Noah, Echo, Beth, and Ryan.  McGarry does a good job of emphasizing the happiness of each couple without making it seem perfect and overly sweet.  It was just great to see the Beth/Isaiah thing reach a conclusion and to see where Noah is going with his life.

What I Didn't Like
---Isaiah and Rachel fell in love a bit fast for what I usually enjoy in YA fiction,  But, I did find myself easily believing that they really could have such feelings that early in a relationship which says a lot about McGarry's writing style.

My Conclusions
Overall, I found Crash Into You to be a great addition to the repertoire of Katie McGarry.  I don't think it was as good as Pushing the Limits or Dare You To (my favorite), but it was right up there.  The characters were well-developed and the romance was super sweet...if a little on the quick step in terms of developments.  Definitely can't wait to see what McGarry does next!

4.5 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTE
"This is who I am, Rachel.  Accept it or not.  The tattoos won't wash off.  The earrings will never change.  I am who I am and nothing more.  I'm loyal to a chosen few, I always keep my word and I'll protect you with my life."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Pushing the Limits
1.5. Crossing the Line
2. Dare You To
3. Crash Into You
4. Take Me On (Coming 2014)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked Crash Into You. I meant to read it earlier this month, but I was stressing about some things, and never did get around to it. I'm also a bit nervous to read it. You know, my expectations are so high because I've loved PtL and DYT so much.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.