Tuesday, October 22, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Unusual Character Names


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~Unusual Character Names~

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
1. Hermione -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
I'm not sure specifically where JKR found the name, but I have seen it in Shakespeare (A Winter's Tale) and Greek mythology (Helen of Troy's daughter).  I just love the story that she chose an unusual name so that fewer girls wouldn't get teased for sharing a name with such a little know-it-all especially because so many people would love to share a name with her now. 

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)
2. Terrible -- Downside Ghost series by Stacia Kane
This just works so well for the burly enforcer in this dark urban fantasy world.  The fact that Terrible is so much more than his name just makes it that much more intriguing to me.  I also like the protagonist of the entire series (Cesaria aka Chess).

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
3. Echo -- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Sometimes I get a bit annoyed with the weird names in young adult fiction nowadays, but I think this is a rare time when it works so well.  Echo's mother is pretty unstable so I could easily see her wanting to give her kids names that are pretty out there.

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
4. Penryn -- Angelfall by Susan Ee
I don't think readers ever got the origin of Penryn's name, but I love it!  It is a combination of pretty and tough which describes the character perfectly.  I also think it is interesting that she has an unusual name while her sister is called something a little more familiar, Paige.

When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
5. Linnet -- When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
One thing I love about EJ's historicals is the beautiful and unusual names she gives her characters.  Linnet is definitely my favorite because I could easily see myself using it in the future (probably as a middle name). 

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)
6. Cricket -- Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
I really wish that we had gotten to know the reason behind such an unusual moniker, but Cricket is just Cricket.  I don't think I could ever name a person or a pet that though I do love the character.

Darkfever (Fever, #1)
7. Jericho -- Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
Another example of a name that just fits the character so perfectly that you can't imagine them being called anything else.  Jericho Z. Barrons is such a force of nature that he requires a powerful, foreboding name.

Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
8. Xhex, Rhage, Wrath, Zsadist, Vishous, etc. -- Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
One of my favorite aspects of this world is the bizarre names.  When I first started reading the series, I rolled my eyes at all the deliberate misspellings.  Now I just find it is part of the BDB world's charm.  My personal favorite of all of these is Xhex and I am actually thinking about naming an animal that in the future.

Unveiled (Turner, #1)
9. Smite, Ash, Mark -- Turner Family series by Courtney Milan
Above are the nicknames of these three brothers.  Their mentally unstable mother gave them all lengthy Bible verses as their names such as: "The Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every living thing, as I have done."  This verse is Smite's true name.

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
10. Eidolon, Wraith, Shade-- Demonica series by Larissa Ione
These three demons have names that are synonyms for phantom or spirit.  I think this works really well for their species which takes the form of other demons to seduce females and continue their line.

14 comments:

  1. OMG Smite! I love Smite and all the brother really. Larissa Ione also has some unusual names. My friend and I still pronounce Eidolon differently. I think Cricket and Linnet are both really pretty good. Good picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to pick just one of the Seminus brothers, but couldn't. Smite is amazing! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Great list! Hermione and Penryn are also on my list! I think it's mentioned she's named after a state sign or road or something like that but don't quote me on that! I just thought it was beautiful and so different! Loved the name Echo too! :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/top-ten-unusual-character-names-i-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that part with Penryn. I read Angelfall almost two years ago so my memory is a little faulty. I think that means it is time for a re-read especially with World After coming out next month. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Echo, Cricket and Jericho, really unusual. And I love Jericho Barrons! Great picks.

    Check out My TTT

    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jericho is amazing! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I've included Penryn as well but wasn't aware of the meaning behind the name, i'm more keen on it now! Also haven't heard many of the other names but like them nonetheless :)


    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy the BDB names even though they're a bit ridiculous. I always smile when I see their names in print.

    Tsuki’s TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the character Cricket, but seriously I think that name is so ridiculous. I mean, how is a grown man going to live with a name like cricket. Just my opinion though. I've heard some people say it's a southern thing, btu more for girls. I don't know.

    I love Hermione, too! It's the perfect name for one of my all time favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had a chance to read the fever series by moning yet, but I have read her highlanders and loved them. But I do love Jericho. And Eloisa James is just a favorite. I can never get enough of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hermione made my list too, such an unusual name. I've seen Cricket on quite a few lists, haven't read the book but I just keep thinking 'Poor kid, cruel parents!'. To me Cricket is a sport and a rather boring one at that. My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great point about Hermione's name! I hadn't thought of it that way before. I wonder how many Hermiones there will be in the coming generations though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I strongly disliked the name Echo, while Noah has always been a favourite of mine :) I also very much like the names from the BDB series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love the name Echo; it's so unique!
    And ahh, Jericho! -swoons- <3
    Smite and Cricket are awesome names. It's just so creative.
    Great list & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.