Tuesday, October 15, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Was "Forced" to Read


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

~BOOKS I WAS "FORCED" TO READ~

To Kill a Mockingbird
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- I had to read this in tenth grade and it remains one of my all-time favorites.

Persuasion
2. Persuasion by Jane Austen -- I was already an Austen fan before I took an English course on early British novels, but this was one that I had never gotten around to reading.  Thank goodness for Dr. Ridley because this is my favorite Austen novel now!

Hamlet
3. Hamlet by William Shakespeare -- Not technically a book, but I think it still counts.  My favorite play ever and one that I had to read for at least three classes.

Out of My Mind
4. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper -- Required reading for one of my library science courses (Young Adult Fiction) and very thought-provoking.

The Book Thief
5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak -- Another book from my YA fiction class that I had always meant to read, but didn't get to until the assignment.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling -- My brother started reading this soon after its release and he had been pestering me for years to try it.  I finally gave it in right before taking him to see the movie and the rest is history!

Pride and Prejudice
7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen -- It came highly recommended to me by one of my best friends in middle school.

Someone Like You
8. Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen --Another recommendation from a friend.  This one is especially significant because I have become a Sarah Dessen fangirl.

Ella Enchanted
9. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine -- Strongly recommended by my younger cousin who loves to read as much as I do.

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
10. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness -- I actually read this based on a glowing recommendation from my father who has just started getting into audio books and practically forced me to try this one.

7 comments:

  1. Persuasion is one of my favorites! Did you enjoy A Discovery of Witches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I haven't read the sequel yet, but I do own it. If you like audio books, I highly recommend that audio version of DoW. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I was also forced to read Harry Potter. Actually, I'm seeing it on many lists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I absolutely loved "A Discovery of Witches". I'm so eager for the third book, you have no idea. Also I totally agree on Harry Potter. I was forced to read it and I fell in love.

    Tsuki’s TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Persuasion is my favorite Austen as well, it's underrated. I was also forced into reading Harry Potter, no regrets there :).

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh some brilliant books on this list! Funnily enough I just bought Persuasion to read :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love P&P and HP. I still need to read Ella Enchanted and The Book Thief (I know, I know). Both are on my TBR pile and I definitely plan on reading the BT before the movie comes out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.