Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, October 10, 2013

DOUBLE-REVIEW: "Sweet Young Thang" and "Good Boy" by Anne Tenino

Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma, #3)
Sweet Young Thang by Anne Tenino
(Theta Alpha Gamma #3)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Male/Male Romance -- Contemporary
Riptide Publishing -- July 22, 2013
Ebook, 419 pages
Received thru Netgalley

THEMES
Older Hero

SUMMARY
Thanks to Collin Montes, Theta Alpha Gamma now welcomes gay and bisexual students. Persuading his Uncle Monty, president of the TAG Alumni Association, that the open approach won’t adversely affect TAG’s reputation is Collin’s own first step toward coming out. As long as there are no repercussions, he’ll escape the closet by graduation.

Enter repercussions, stage left: someone rigs the TAG House water heater to launch through the ceiling, then plants a bomb—thankfully unsuccessful—in the fraternity’s basement. Now Collin has his hands full not only trying to convince his uncle that this might not be the work of homophobes, but also dealing with a fratful of brothers worried about their kegger fridge.

Paramedic Eric Dixon can’t stop thinking about the kid he met during a call at his former college fraternity house. The age gap between them is trumped by sexy eyes, so when Eric sees Collin again at the bomb scene, he pursues him. Soon, Eric is dreaming of being a househusband, fighting to keep Collin safe from whoever’s trying to destroy the fraternity, and helping his sweet young thang realize that repercussions sometimes have silver linings.

FIRST LINE
"I'm probably going to die, aren't I?"

MY THOUGHTS

I received a free copy of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. 


Collin Montes first appears in the first book of the Theta Alpha Gamma series as a frat brother of the hero of Frat Boy and Toppy, Brad.  He really makes an impression on the reader when he has an 'intimate' moment with Brad and I had been waiting to get his story ever since then.  And I thought this was one of Anne Tenino's best books with the romance and the side story involving TAG's ongoing effort to be more accepting to gay students.

Collin and Eric meet when the TAG house is mysteriously set on fire and Eric arrives on scene as a paramedic.  They start a relationship, but things are complicated by the fact that Collin is not completely out to his frat brothers and family members.  This includes his homophobic uncle who happens to be Theta Alpha Gamma's alumni president and is not very happy with the frat's new open policy towards future gay members.  Collin is forced to spend much of the book balancing his personal relationships with his duties as a fraternity member while Eric deals with the fact that he is quickly falling for Collin despite their significant age difference.

I loved these two from the moment that they met.  The attraction was obvious from the beginning and they were just so darn cute!  The relationship starts off just as a few sexual encounters, but quickly escalate into something deeper which was a lot of fun to read.  Both Collin and Eric have little quirks that endear them to the reader like a penchant for sexy underwear and a love of erotic photography.  I mentioned above that here is a bit of an age difference between these two, but it never really mattered to me since they seemed to understand one another so well.

Besides the love story, this book also continues the story line surrounding Theta Alpha Gamma's diversity policy which is coming under fire from prominent alumni (like Collin's uncle) and others on campus.  I loved this plot point because it showed that Tenino can write drama as well as comedy.  It also provides readers with a realistic situation that could easily be happening on a college campus right now.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think it may be my favorite of the entire series.  The only issue I had with Sweet Young Thang was the ending which seemed rushed and didn't really feel like it was part of the same story.  Besides this, Collin and Eric were an adorable couple and their story was very endearing.


3.5 STARS
FAVORITE QUOTE
"Lame?  For me to tell you I love you the first time right here, in the back of this ambulance, and when we can't, like, ride off into the sunset?"
"On a white steed?" Eric asked.  "The ambulance is white."


************************************


Good Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #4)
Good Boy by Anne Tenino
(Theta Alpha Gamma #4)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Male/Male Romance -- Contemporary
Riptide Publishing -- October 7, 2013
Ebook, 67 pages
Received thru Netgalley

THEMES
Troubled Romance; Novella

SUMMARY
Brad “Frat Boy” Feller and Sebastian “Toppy” DeWitt have been together for nine months, and their relationship is as hot as ever. The only cloud Brad sees on their horizon is Sebastian’s stress over his thesis. And their uncertain future together after graduation. And how Sebastian sometimes takes Brad for granted. And Sebastian’s unwillingness to introduce Brad to his father.  Other than that, everything’s awesome.

All of Sebastian’s energy is currently devoted to his thesis, and getting into a top-notch PhD program. Fortunately, his boyfriend takes care of all the domestic stuff and Sebastian’s needs. Any minor strain between them will disappear and they’ll return to the status quo after Sebastian graduates. As long as nothing upsets their delicate balance in the meantime.

Then a friend Brad once had a small fling with is forced to take refuge with them, and Frat Boy and Toppy’s delicate balance topples like an elephant on a waterski. Now Sebastian has to face some truths about how he’s been treating Brad, what he wants for their future, and what he has to do to get it.

FIRST LINE
"Sebastian hadn't taken a break for hours."

MY THOUGHTS

I received a free copy of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Good Boy is a cute novella that takes readers back to the first couple from the Theta Alpha Gamma series, frat boy Brad and grad student Sebastian.  This one takes place about nine months after the couple's first meeting and shows how their relationship has developed over a long period of time.  This novella's shorter page length allowed for a quick read, but I did want a little more in terms of plot.

I continue to adore Brad's personality and how genuine of a person he is.  He loves Sebastian completely and wants to do everything he can to make him happy, but is realistic about their relationship as well.  Plus I like the fact that he is willing to be submissive to Sebastian despite the fact that he has been out as a gay man for less than a year.  I do still like Sebastian, but not as much as in Frat Boy and Toppy.  The fact that he was completely ignoring Brad's feelings at the beginning and wouldn't let the Collin thing go just irritated me.

Despite my gut-check feelings for Sebastian, I did enjoy this short and spicy story with an already established couple.  The ending was especially sweet and satisfied any qualms I had when starting the book.  I hope this doesn't mean that Anne Tenino is finished writing the Theta Alpha Gamma series, but I have definitely enjoyed the ride with these guys!

3 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
"I wish I could give you what you gave me, all my first times, but I can't so I'm giving you this instead, so you'll always know how I feel.  I choose you, and as long as you wear this, it means you choose me."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Frat Boy and Toppy
2. Love Hypothetically
3. Sweet Young Thang
4. Good Boy 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read m/m yet but a ton of my friends devour them. I'll have to mention these to em :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.