Tuesday, September 24, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Best Sequels I've Ever Read


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

BEST SEQUELS I'VE EVER READ

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
I loved The Hunger Games, but I think I liked its sequel even more.  Collins just took the danger aspect and turned up the notch with the Quarter Quell.  Plus I thought Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and others really shined in this book.

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
2. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
This is a case where I liked the prequel a bit better than the sequel, but I still thought Scarlet was a fabulous addition to the Lunar Chronicles world.  Marissa Meyer showed that she wasn't a one trick pony and proved that her mix of fairy tales and science fiction could work beyond Cinder.  (MY REVIEW)

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
3. One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
While I enjoyed the first book in the Night Huntress world (Halfway to the Grave), this is the book that sealed my fangirl status for the series.  The reunion between Cat and Bones and the addition of the federal government to the overall story line just added to my obsession.

The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
4. The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee
This sequel to the already wonderful A Spy in the House allowed protagonist Mary Quinn to continue her development as a character.  She has been an agent for awhile now and really gets to show off what she has learned.  Plus I loved all the little moments between Mary and architect James in this book. (MY REVIEW)

The Vampire Who Loved Me (Cabot, #2)
5. The Vampire Who Loved Me by Teresa Medeiros
This was the conclusion of a fascinating duet that mixed paranormal and historical romance.  In this one, vampire Julian Kane returns to London and he is reunited with the woman that he fell for in the first book.  I loved the mythology of this series and thought the second book was the strongest of the two.

Pure (Covenant, #2)
6. Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout
While I liked the first book in Armentrout's Covenant series, I wasn't sold on the premise or the main character, Alex.  But, Pure completely changed my opinion from the beginning and it started what has become an obsession with JLA's writing.

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
7. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Outlander is still one of my all-time favorite books, but I thought this was a worthy sequel.  I don't want to go too much into the summary of Dragonfly to avoid spoilers, but Gabaldon took it in ways that I never thought she would.  I think the ending of this one caused the most tears that I have ever shed while reading.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
While I think this is the weakest of the entire series, I couldn't get through the list without mentioning HP.  The plot of this one was a bit darker than that of Sorcerer's Stone and it is fascinating to re-read now with all the connections to the end of the series.

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
9. Dare You To by Katie McGarry
This is another example of a sequel that I enjoyed more than the prequel.  While I adored McGarry's debut, Pushing the Limits, I connected with Beth and Ryan immediately and really got invested in their love story.  Plus I loved how McGarry reversed the typical YA roles with these two which kept me on my toes.  (MY REVIEW)

A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
10. A Million Suns by Beth Revis
I read this book almost a year and a half after I finished its prequel, Across the Universe, but it still drew me into the complex world of Godspeed.  The plot really escalates in this book and readers get to see the two main characters make some intriguing discoveries that will resonate for the rest of the trilogy.  (MY REVIEW)

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read many of these, but YES to the ones I did! HP remains one of my favorite series of all time, and Catching Fire was SO GOOD. I've seen it on nearly every list today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching fire is on my list too! here it is: http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-best-sequels-ever/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about Scarlet. I liked Cinder more, but I still thought Scarlet was amazing, and surpasses my high expectations.

    I also feel the same way about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - that it's the weekest in the seris (although still totally amazing!). But it's got such a similar structure to the first HP book.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.