Sunday, September 15, 2013

REVIEW: "Origin" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Origin (Lux, #4)
Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
For Ages 13+
Young Adult -- Science Fiction
Entangled Publishing -- August 27, 2013
Ebook, 400 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Aliens, Dual POV

SUMMARY
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.  After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.  Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.  But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?  And will they even be together?

FIRST LINE
I was on fire again.

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review contains spoilers for the first three books in the Lux series.

Like with other books in the Lux series, I had high expectations for Origin.  I had fallen in love with this world and its characters especially Katy and Daemon.  And, once again, Jennifer L. Armentrout has shown how good she is with the development of this series and keeping readers glued to the story from beginning to end.  The last time readers saw Katy, Daemon, and the rest of their friends they had attempted to break into the secret government facility (Mount Weather).  Unfortunately, that mission ended with Katy being kidnapped by Daedalus with Daemon's promising to find her, no matter what the cost.  The cliffhanger in Opal was pretty awesome and really had me on the edge of my seat to find out what happened next.

One of the most anticipated parts of this book (and the most enjoyable) was the fact that it is written in dual points of view.  In the first three books, readers saw everything through Katy's eyes only, but now Daemon is taking center stage and it was as amazing as I was hoping.  He is such an intriguing character with his mix of arrogance and kindness and it was fun to see what he was really thinking at various situations.  And I was also happy with the development of Katy's character and much stronger (emotionally and physically) she is.

In my other reviews for the Lux series, I have mentioned how much I love the world building that the author has done with the Luxen and their relationship with humans.  Origin continues that development by throwing in the wrench of the existence of the origins and the questions about their place on Earth.  Katy is learning more about how dangerous the Luxen can be and must figure out which side she wants to be on during the big confrontation that she knows is coming soon.

The plot of Origin is divided into two parts: Daemon searching for Katy and Katy and Daemon's reunion.  The first half of the book had a slower pace than I am used to with JLA's stories, but I think it worked.  Readers get to see Daemon's efforts to figure out where Katy was being held and how he plans on getting her out unscathed.  They also watch as Katy is shown the inner workings of Daedalus who are trying to recruit her to their side.

And then in the second half...the action really gets going and does not stop until the cliffhanger ending which is pretty intense though not as bad as the one in Opal.  Like the rest of this series, JLA provides readers with tons of twists and turns.  I almost always find her story development unpredictable which heightens my overall enjoyment.  The climatic ending was my favorite part of the entire book and how much it changes the world of the Luxen and the humans forever.  Everything is lining up for the final book in the series (Opposition) and I cannot wait to read it!


4.5 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
"I want a year's worth of seconds and minutes with you.  I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Shadows
1. Obsidian
2. Onyx
3. Opal
4. Origin
5. Opposition (Coming 2014) 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! I can't wait to read Opposition, too. Although, I'm kind of sad that the series is coming to an end. What will I do without Daemon?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.