Monday, September 30, 2013

REVIEW: "Midnight Frost" by Jennifer Estep

Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep
For Ages 13+
Young Adult -- Paranormal/Fantasy
K-Teen -- July 30, 2013
Paperback, 372 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Magic School, Mythology

SUMMARY
Here we go again …

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead.

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …

FIRST LINE
"I was trapped."

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review may contain spoilers for earlier books in the Mythos Academy series.
 
Jennifer Estep's Mythos Academy series is one of my current favorites and I am always looking forward to seeing what Gwen and her friends are up to next.  For me, there is always an installment in a series that seems a bit weaker than others.  It is never bad enough to make me give up on the series as a whole, but it usually is one I won't jump to re-read very soon.  Unfortunately, Midnight Frost is that book for me with the Mythos Academy series.  I did enjoy this book, but it didn't grab me as much as the earlier installments.

This book starts soon after the attack on Mythos amphitheater where Logan was possessed by Loki and almost killed Gwen.  This caused a rift between our main couple and Logan ran away from the school in a misguided attempt to protect Gwen.  Of course, in the land of Mythos Academy, there is rarely a time to breath and this fact is proven when librarian Nickamedes is poisoned in a Reaper attack that was meant for Gwen.  This has angered our heroine and she goes on a mission to the Mythos Academy branch in Colorado to find the antidote.  And, of course, she is accompanied by her friends and teachers.

One thing that I do love about this series is the way that Jennifer Estep is developing the character of Gwen.  She started off as a sarcastic, geeky outcast who resisted getting too involved in the supernatural world.  Now, she has fully embraced her destiny as Nike's Champion and is no longer willing to stand by and watch others be hurt in her stead.  Gwen does still have some reckless moments, but they are much less frequent than in the beginning of the series.

I also continue to love the many secondary characters that pepper the Mythos Academy universe.  Gwen's friends (Daphne, Carson, Oliver, etc.) are part of the group that travels to Colorado and it was great to see them working to help Gwen in any way that they can.  I also enjoyed getting to know their teacher Ajax more during this book.  The adults are just as fascinating to me as the students.  And, of course, there are plenty of fascinating new characters to meet and interact with.  My personal favorite was a Spartan girl who has an important connection to Gwen.

I think the biggest reason that I had trouble with Midnight Frost was that the plot dragged quite a bit towards the middle.  I understand that so much happened in the previous book that the characters needed a breather, but I just found myself wanting more to happen.  I did ultimately get the action I wanted towards the end though it seemed a little rushed to me.

Despite my struggles, I do still love this series and am looking forward to the release of Killer Frost in 2014 especially if it ends up being the conclusion!

3.5 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
"Well, naturally," the sword crowed, his voice swelling with pride. "I do put the art in artefact."
I looked down on him. "Really?" I whispered. "You're really going to talk about how awesome you are at a time like this?"
"Certainly," Vic said. "Why wouldn't I?”



BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. First Frost
1. Touch of Frost
1.5. Halloween Frost
2. Kiss of Frost
3. Dark Frost
4. Crimson Frost
4.5. Spartan Frost
5. Midnight Frost
6. Killer Frost (Coming 2014) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.