Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Saturday, September 7, 2013

REVIEW: "Capture and Surrender" by L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov


Capture & Surrender (Market Garden #5)
Capture and Surrender by L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov
For Ages 18+
Male/Male Romance -- Contemporary
Riptide Publishing -- August 19, 2013
Ebook, 225 pages
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
BDSM, Open Relationships, Tearjerker

SUMMARY
Ever since his partner died, Frank has resigned himself to staying single. He wards off the loneliness by spending time with friends on the paintball field and running his high-end brothel, the Market Garden.

After one of his most lucrative rentboys quits, Frank is thrilled when a gorgeous replacement walks through the door. A former US soldier, Stefan is hot, bold, and perfect for the Market Garden’s clientele, especially those with a thing for camouflage and drill sergeants. He's perfect for Frank, too, except Frank has a rule about not getting involved with his own rentboys.

During a frisky game of paintball, Stefan makes it clear that he doesn't care about the rules. Not the rules of the game, and definitely not Frank's refusal to get involved. He captures Frank on the field using stealth and cunning, and makes it clear that he’ll do anything to keep a hold of him off the field too.

FIRST LINE
On Friday night, Nick strolled into Market Garden for the first time in days and Frank breathed a sigh of relief.

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free e-ARC of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The most recent development in the world of Market Garden brothel has been the fact that one of the most lucrative rentboys has quit in order to fully focus on his new relationship (see: If It Flies and If It Fornicates).  Now, owner/director Frank is forced to find a replacement which seems like an impossible task until he is introduced to Stefan.  Frank hires Stefan and discovers that he is a natural, but is thrown for a loop when he discovers that he is attracted to his newest employee.

Readers of this series have seen Frank pop in and out of Nick/Spencer and Tristan/Jared's stories so it was great to see him take center stage.  He is a fully fleshed out character who is a wonderful combination of toughness and vulnerability which really grabbed my attention.  His love for his late partner was well-written and had me grabbing tissues at various times.  Frank has kept to himself since his partner's death and it was very entertaining to see him react to his sudden attraction to Stefan.

I wasn't sure what to expect with Stefan's character, but I was blown away with how well-developed he was.  There is definitely more to him than the sexy rentboy though I don't want to go too much into it to avoid spoiling.  One thing I do want to mention is how well Voinov and Witt handled the different sides to Stefan's characters.  When he told Frank his real name, it became obvious that he was revealing so much more and some of the moments immediately following were my favorites of the entire book.

As a couple, Stefan and Frank definitely had a difficult start and, even by the end, readers know that they have some tough times ahead.  But, I really think they will be happy for how ever long they are together and that is all I can ask of a romance like this.  They learn how to trust one another with their respective secrets and just create a bond that made me sigh with happiness.

Witt and Voinov's Market Garden series has been a highlight of my reading in 2013.  While the books are not perfect, they have definitely taken me out of my comfort zone and broadened my reading horizons.  Their respectful portrayal of "unpopular" themes (like Frank's secret) is very admirable and I always enjoy the stories with Capture & Surrender being no exception.


4 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
"There are worse things, you know."
"I can't think of man."
"I've lived one."  This time, Stefan met Frank's eyes.  "Not knowing.  Trying to go through my life like normal, even though the..." He paused, lowering his gaze.  "Even though my partner is sick and might be dying.  Not being able to be there with him, and ...not knowing.  That was worse than any night I spent with him when he was really sick and we thought it might be the end.  Far worse."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Quid Pro Quo
2. Take It Off
3. If It Flies
4. If It Fornicates
5.Capture & Surrender

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.