Sunday, September 22, 2013

REVIEW: "Bound by Night" by Larissa Ione


Bound by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampires, #1)
Bound by Night by Larissa Ione
(Moonbound Clan Vampire #1)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Paranormal Romance -- Vampires
Pocket Books -- September 24, 2013
Ebook, 400 pages
Received from Edelweiss

THEMES
Vampires, Tortured Hero, Tormented Heroine, Best Enemies

SUMMARY
A WOMAN OUT FOR BLOODNicole Martin was only eight years old when the vampire slaves rose up in rebellion and killed her family. Now she devotes her life to finding a vaccine against vampirism, hoping to wipe out her memories—along with every bloodsucker on the planet. But there’s one thing she cannot destroy: her searing, undeniable attraction for the one man she should hate and fear the most . . .

A VAMPIRE OUT FOR REVENGEA member of the renegade vampire MoonBound Clan, Riker is haunted by demons of his own. When he recognizes Nicole and remembers how her family enslaved his loved ones, his heart burns for vengeance. But when he kidnaps Nicole and holds her in a secret lair, his mortal enemy becomes his soul obsession, his greatest temptation, and, perhaps, his only salvation—a hot-blooded lover who could heal him with her touch . . . or bury him forever.

FIRST LINE
The vampires were behaving weird today.

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free e-ARC of this book from Pocket Books via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I am a huge Larissa Ione fangirl so I was ecstatic to learn that she was starting a new series and that it was going to focus on vampires!  I had very high expectations for this first installment and I did enjoy it, overall.  It was not as good as my favorite Demonica or Lords of Deliverance books, but there is definite potential!

What I Liked

  • One of Larissa Ione's biggest strengths as a writer is her ability to bring a paranormal world to life.  She is amazing at creating these complex settings and developing them so well that they feel like they could jump off the page.  Vampire series can feel very stale nowadays, but I think Ione is providing readers with a fresh look at this species and their interactions with humans.  There are so many levels in this particular world and I can see that she will have a blast revealing them throughout the series.
  • Nicole Martin was an amazing heroine who I connected with from that grisly first chapter and I really became invested in her journey.  I liked how she was devoted to her family's memory (at first), but was willing to change her mind when provided with the proper evidence.  She was definitely my favorite character of the book and I am looking forward to seeing her pop up in the rest of the series.
  • The relationship between Riker and Nicole was as hot as I would expect from Larissa Ione.  I wasn't sure what I would think about their past interfering with their present, but I think things are resolved well on that front.  The whole hate-to-love journey is very entertaining for me and I loved the sense of the forbidden that overshadows their entire love story.  I always look at a couple with an eye towards to the future and I think they definitely can have a successful future together.
  • The plot of Bound by Night is action-packed from the very beginning when Ione introduces readers to this world by a horrific attack at heroine Nicole Martin's childhood home.  I never felt like the story backed down from that moment and provided all the twists and turns that I expected from this author.  I did find myself confused at points, but I think that was intentional since Nicole was just as confused as I was.
  • Like in her other paranormal series, Larissa Ione provides readers with a large and well-developed cast of characters.  These include heroes, villains, and some who could go either way over the course of the series.  My favorite of these was Riker's friend, Myne, an former slave with titanium fangs who helped Nicole during a particularly harrowing time.  I'm really looking forward to his story because I know it will be a doozy!

What I Didn't Like

  • Bound by Night is the first in the series so I expected lots of background information.  But, I was a little taken aback by the information dump that I got in the early chapters.  My previous experience with Larissa Ione showed me that she is usually more subtle about her exposition, but I do understand that she had a lot to explain to get the series going.
  • The only other issue I had with this book was the hero Riker's melodrama.  I really liked his character and his relationship with Nicole (for the most part).  But, I thought he acted like an ass towards Nicole even after their status changed.  I understood that he had a tough past, but he was so obsessed with his deceased mate that he started getting on my nerves.  I'm also not sure if he groveled enough for my taste.
Overall, I found Bound by Night to be an entertaining first installment in what I think will be another successful series for Larissa Ione.  I am definitely looking forward to the next one, Chained by Night, to be released in 2014.


4 STARS

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Bound by Night
2. Chained by Night (Coming 2014)

1 comment:

  1. I actually posted my review of this book as well today. I really have loved all of Larissa Ione's books as well. You have some really good points. Come check out my thoughts as well.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.