Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, September 9, 2013

NOVELLA REVIEW: "Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death" by Kim Knox


Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death
Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death by Kim Knox
(Agamemnon Frost #1)

Goodreads -- Amazon
Author Website

For Ages 18+
Male/Male Romance -- Science Fiction/Steampunk
Carina Press -- August 19, 2013
Ebook, 77 pages
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Aliens 

SUMMARY
Decorated artilleryman Edgar Mason was forced to find new work when the British Empire replaced its foot soldiers with monstrous machines. Now he waits on the Liverpool elite as a personal servant. He has just one rule: he won’t work for fashion-addled dandies.

Agamemnon Frost, however, is far from the foppish man-about-town he appears to be. He’s working to protect the Earth from an alien invasion being planned by a face-changing creature known as Pandarus. And on the night he plans to confront the aliens, he enlists Mason to assist him.

For a man to love a man is a serious crime in Victorian England. But when Mason meets Frost, his heart thunders and his blood catches fire. And when Pandarus drags the two men into the torture cellars beneath his house of death to brainwash them, Mason’s new passion may be all that stands between him and insanity.

FIRST LINE
"Mr. Agamemnon Frost is a trifle. . .eccentric."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free e-ARC of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

One of the things that I love about independent publishers is the risks they are willing to take with their books.  A perfect example of this trend is the wonderfully titled, Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death.  Our narrator is Mason, a former foot soldier, who is trying to live in world where his particular military skills are no longer needed.  He is forced to look for temporary servant work while attempting to figure out his next step in life.  It is one of these seemingly normal jobs that starts Mason on what will end up being the adventure of a lifetime because it involves the enigmatic and slightly odd Agamemnon Frost.

I loved Mason as a character and especially as the narrator.  He is just a regular guy thrown into this weird drama and is trying the survive the best way he can.  While there were definitely moments where Mason was confused and demanding, I thought he handled all the weird situations pretty well.  I especially liked his reaction to his attraction to Frost.

For his part, I thought Agamemnon Frost was a hell of a character!  He appears, at first, to be a foppish gentleman who only cares about his outward appearance and his social calendar.  But, like many things in this book, things are much more than they seem with Frost.  I liked his special brand of bad boy detective and how he slowly revealed that side of himself to Mason.  He really reminded me of Doctor Who with his secretive and often manipulative personality that hides softer side.

The physical attraction between Frost and Mason was obvious from their first meeting and was a definite highlight for me.  I loved how they both accepted the fact that it existed, but resisted doing anything about it for the time being.  Kim Knox showed real skill in her depiction of the chemistry in a single glance or brush of the hand which really grabbed my attention in this book.  While nothing physical happened in this installment, I can see some fun stuff in the future for Mason and Frost and can't wait to read it!

Besides the two main characters and the chemistry between them, I also really enjoyed the unique concept of Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death.  Everything was original and confusing (on purpose) which kept me turning pages on my e-reader.  The Pandarus made a great villain and I'm excited to see the fall-out from the events at the end of the book.  The only real issue I had with this book was the length.  It was only 77 pages and a ton of stuff happened (which was great), but it also felt rushed at times.  I spent the middle of the story really confused about what happened to Mason and how Frost was connected, etc. which I think could have been avoided with a few more pages of background information.

Despite the page-length, I found this book to be a delightfully original and action-packed science fiction tale that sets up what I'm hoping will be a lengthy series. 


3.5 STARS


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death
2. Agamemnon Frost and the Hollow Ships

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.