Saturday, August 3, 2013

WEEKLY RECAP and KINDLE DEALS: July 28-August 3, 2013


THIS WEEK ON FEMINIST FAIRY TALE REVIEWS


MY READING UPDATE


Devil in Winter (Wallflowers #3) by Lisa Kleypas (historical romance) -- One of my all-time favorites that I re-read when I started getting into a rut this week.  A great example of how a talented writer can turn a former villain into a hero.  It shows me how much I miss Kleypas's historicals!

The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty #0.5) by Jeannie Lin (historical romance) -- I loved the imperial China setting, the romance, and the depiction of the characters especially Mei Lin!  I just wish it was longer.  

This Time Next Door by Gretchen Galway (contemporary romance) -- Cute romance between a computer geek and his voluptuous new neighbor.  The scenes between the two leads were my favorite so I wasn't a huge fan of the side stories.

His Request by Ava March (male/male romance) -- Freebie novella that is the companion to one of my favorite male/male romances, His Client.  I loved seeing how strong Jasper and Nate's relationship still is and how good they are for one another.


CURRENTLY READING


Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)  Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)  Opal (Lux, #3)


Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin #2) by Jennifer Estep (urban fantasy)
Loyalty in Death (In Death #9) by JD Robb (romantic suspense)
Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (YA science fiction)

NEW TO THE TBR SHELF


Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy #5) by Jennifer Estep (YA paranormal)
The Darkest Craving (Lords of the Underworld # ) by Gena Showalter (paranormal romance)
Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn (historical romance)
Why Dukes Say I Do by Manda Collins (historical romance)
The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes (historical romance)
Her Favorite Temptation by Sarah Mayberry (contemporary romance)
Crimson Outlaw by Alex Beecroft (male/male romance)

GREAT BOOKISH DEALS

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1) Handle with Care  The Misbehaving Marquess  Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom, #1)  

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes (historical romance ) [FREE]
--I haven't read any books by this author, but a lot of my blogger friends seem to enjoy them.  The reviews are pretty good though they do mention that historical accuracy is not the main focus here.

Handle With Care by Josephine Myles (male/male romance) [FREE]
--A very sweet, and spicy, romance between a dialysis patient and a delivery boy.  It is much deeper than the blurb makes it out to be and is a great introduction to Myles's work.

The Misbehaving Marquess by Leigh LaValle (historical romance) [FREE]
--Very entertaining novella about a lady whose husband returns after a decade away and is determined to make their marriage work again.

Her Mad Hatter by Marie Hall (paranormal romance) [FREE]
--Heard fabulous things about this fairy tales gone wrong series and this freebie offer seems like a great way to try it out.

Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1)  In The Arms Of A Marquess Prince of Swords Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)  

Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen (historical romance) [$0.99]
--Inspired by the movie, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, this romance involves a lord and lady who discover they are both spies and must work together.  I haven't read it, but I enjoyed another of Galen's historicals, If You Give a Duke a Diamond.

In the Arms of a Marquess by Katherine Ashe (historical romance) [$0.99]
--Features the reunion of a wealthy unmarried lady and a third son who unexpectedly inherits a title.  I haven't read it, but have heard good things about Ms. Ashe.

Prince of Swords by Anne Stuart (historical romance) [$0.99]
--Classic Georgian romance about an impoverished lady masquerading as a Tarot card reader and a notorious cat burglar.  I haven't read this, but I like Stuart's almost gothic writing style.

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park (NA contemporary) [$1.99]
--Sweet and intriguing story of a college freshman who bonds with a family that has some pretty big secrets.  My review can be found here.


2 comments:

  1. I loved some of these. I got Her Mad Hatter a few weeks ago but have yet to read it, but hopefully I will soon. The Bridegroom Wore Plaid was a great story. Loved every minute of it. Thanks for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love Devil In Winter a ridiculous amount! I do the same, and tend to read it when I'm in a reading rut :)
    I really hope she writes some more historicals soon!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.