Tuesday, August 27, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Most Memorable Secondary Characters


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

MOST MEMORABLE SECONDARY CHARACTERS

Note: For this list, I am focusing only on side characters that have not become center stage in either their original series or their own spin-off.  For example, I do love Vlad from Night Huntress and Adrian from Vampire Academy/Bloodlines, but feel like they have gone beyond the secondary label.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
1. Luna Lovegood -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Absolutely loved Luna from the moment we met her in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  Her quirky, but wise statements never failed to make me laugh and think.

Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
2. Lady Danbury -- various books by Julia Quinn
This cantankerous, but soft-hearted lady pops up throughout JQ's Regency London.  I always found her snarky comments to be funny, but she really won me over when she took Penelope Featherington under her wing in Romancing Mr. Bridgerton.

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
3. Ian Flannery -- Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Dangerous, sexy, obscene are all adjectives that describe this Master Vampire who is obsessed with collecting the rarest of the rare.  His antics are fascinating and his commentary always makes me laugh plus I love that he is extremely loyal to his friends Spade and Bones.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
4. Finnick Odair -- Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins 
I love when authors make me change my mind about a character through the course of a story and that is definitely what happened with Finnick.  There is so much more to him than the pretty boy with an affinity for water and that makes it that much more memorable to me.

Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
5. Delia Peabody -- In Death series by JD Robb
There are tons of secondary characters I could choose from this series, but my favorite (by far) is the obsessively neat and rule-oriented police officer who helps Lieutenant Eve Dallas with her homicide cases.  She has her own issues, but can always be guaranteed to provide a laugh to balance all the horrors of the mysteries.

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #2)
6. Simi -- Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Acheron's adopted demon daughter has made me laugh since the moment she arrived on the page.  Her obsessions with barbeque sauce, actor Travis Fimmel, and protecting those she loves definitely makes me adore her.

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1)
7. Dick Cheney -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
This hilariously named vampire is a jack of all trades who always knows someone to help in any fix.  His rivalry with heroine Jane's boyfriend Gabriel is hilarious for its pranks and his devotion to his girlfriend is something to be admired.

Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling 0.5, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5)
8. Walker Lauren -- Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh
A Tp-Psy with an affinity for working with children.  Walker, and his brother, risked everything to save their family by abandoning their Psy heritage and seeking refuge with the Changelings.  He is a quiet, dangerous man who is just learning how to feel.

The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2)
9. William -- Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter
A warrior whose origins are mysterious, but whose sexual exploits are legendary.  He is the son of Hades, the brother of Lucifer, and possibly the father of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  He does everything he can to avoid serious relationships because of a curse that says he will be killed by the woman he loves.

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
10. Isabeau -- A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Isabeau is the matriarch of a prominent vampire family and shows that being a proper lady does not make one any less dangerous.  Her protectiveness is impressive and her wit is biting and intelligent.

Honorable Mentions: Lassiter (Black Dagger Brotherhood), Nix (Immortals After Dark), Oberon (Iron Druid Chronicles), Grimalkin (Iron Fey), Christian (Vampire Academy)

11 comments:

  1. Great top ten, there's so many on your list that I would have added to mine including Ian who is possibly my favorite character in the Night Huntress series!

    My Top 10 Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!! I love Finnick and Luna!!!
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luna <3 Finnick was an interesting character, I've seen him on a bunch of lists today. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Luna and Finnick. They were both such great secondary characters. I need to read The Discovery of Witches. It looks like such an interesting book. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Finnick and Luna- I can't believe I forgot to put her on my list!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes! Luna was on my list before I gave doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read only Catching Fire and I do agree that Finnick is a great character. I plan on trying Nalini Singh soon and will keep eye on Walker Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Danbury is a fantastic character - loved her in the earlier Agents of the Crown books as well. Ian is growing on me but hasn't quite made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still can't believe I left Finnick and/or Cinna off my list. What a huge oversight. I am glad to see the mutual Luna love though. Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finnick! <3<3<3<3
    Yes, he deserves four separate hearts. :D
    And as for Ian, he is definitely memorable. I still can't decide whether he's meant to be the good guy or the bad guy.
    Awesome list you have there & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.