Tuesday, August 13, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Favorite Books with a Futuristic Setting


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

FAVORITE BOOKS WITH A FUTURISTIC SETTING

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
1. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Young Adult)
Nothing I can say about this series that hasn't already been said.

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
2. Across the Universe trilogy by Beth Revis (Young Adult)
Suspenseful and thought-provoking trilogy that takes place on a spaceship bound for an Earth-like planet.


Divergent (Divergent, #1)
3. Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth (Young Adult)
It isn't complete yet, but if Allegiant is anywhere near as good as its predecessors than this will definitely be one of my favorite series of all time.


Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
4. Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer (Young Adult)
Fabulous sci-fi retellings that are full of complex characters thrilling action that still retain a fairy tale-esque quality.

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
5. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (Young Adult)
Emotional retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion in a dystopian society.  

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)
6. Psy Changeling series by Nalini Singh (Adult)
Some of the best world building I've ever seen in a series about an alternate, futuristic world full of changelings, psy (humans with psychic powers), and humans.

Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
7. In Death series by JD Robb (Adult)
Another favorite (but lengthy) series about Eve Dallas, a homicide detective in New York City (year 2058), and her sexy billionaire husband, Roarke.

Born of Night (The League, #1)
8. The League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Adult)
I'm a bit behind on this series, but I still love the complexity of Kenyon's space world.  Plus it is full of those tortured heroes that she is known for.

Games of Command
9. Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair (Adult)
A romance between a spaceship captain and a bio-cyborg who has been in love with her for years.  Very emotional and entertaining!

How Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #1)
10. Tales of the Underlight trilogy by Jax Garren (Adult)
Steampunk/futuristic retelling of Beauty and the Beast mixed with hot romance, creepy mythology, and political intrigue.

7 comments:

  1. ooh, you've listed several of my favorites. For darkness shows the stars looks good. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I've read and loved 5 of your 10 and For Darkness Shows the Stars has been staring at me for some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read 4 or 5 of these, and I like that you included Naked in Death, which is def a good selection and perfect fit for your topic. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read much fantasy but I have read and enjoyed The Hunger Games and Divergent, I also have Psy-changling series my TBR list but I don't know when I will come to it (there are to many books in the series and I am scared to start it). I am also doing Top Ten Tuesday this week for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choices, I love THG and the Lunar Chronicles.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolute yes to the first three. The rest, I need to go read... I keep putting off Cinder because something new and shiny always ends up in my hands first. Soon, soon. Great picks!

    Thanks for visiting my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I've read is Cinder! I'm eager to read Scarlet, the sequel, and there are several books on this list that are on my TRB list.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.