Thursday, August 15, 2013

THROWBACK THURSDAY: "The Rake" by Mary Jo Putney



New weekly feature hosted by Bookfever and Booksane.  The point of the meme is to feature books that we've read awhile ago, but still adore.  In addition, the hosts will be providing a fun question to answer each week.  So join in!

THROWBACK OF THE WEEK:

The Rake 12827612
The Rake
by Mary Jo Putney
Historical Romance -- Regency England
Originally Published in November 1989 as The Rake and the Reformer
 Reissued in April 1998 and March 2012
SUMMARY:
The Rake...

It was predicted that Reginald Davenport, disinherited and disgraced, would come to a violent end. But fate has given him one final chance to redeem himself, by taking his place as the rightful master of Strickland, his lost ancestral estate. Davenport knows his way around women—yet nothing prepares him for his shocking encounter with Lady Alys Weston.

The Reformer...

Masquerading as a man, in order to obtain a position as estate manager of Strickland, Alys fled a world filled with mistrust and betrayal. She's finished with men—yet how could she have predicted that Strickland's restored owner would awaken a passion more powerful than anything she had ever known? A passion that will doom or save them both...if only they can overcome their pasts and dare to believe in the wondrous power of love.
*******

This is a historical romance that I have re-read many times in the past ten years.  What initially attracted me to it was the fact that the "hero" is a reformed villain (which I love!) and the heroine is acting as an estate manager in secret.  Reginald and Alys are two of my favorite characters in romance because of the depth that MJP brings to them.  Reginald, in particular, has some issues to deal with especially alcoholism.  The way that the struggles are depicted is really impressive and the story never fails to make me cry every time I re-read it.

Here are some reviews that can explain why this book is so amazing better than I can:
Romantic Historical Book Review Blog
All About Romance
The Romance Reader 
Mrs. Giggles





QUESTION OF THE WEEK:

Do you listen to music while reading?

I can listen to music or watch TV while reading, but I don't have to.  I know that's a boring answer, but it is the truth.







  

3 comments:

  1. That would sounds great! I love historical romances. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, The Rake seems interesting. I've never read anything by Mary Jo Putney. I'll have to look into it.

    I'm definitely someone who likes quiet while reading. Music and TV is too distracting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Rake; it's one of the books that introduced me to Mary Jo Putney. I absolutely agree about the depth MJP brings to her characters; it's what makes her so good and what keeps me coming back to her books.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.