Wednesday, August 14, 2013

REVIEW: "Onyx" by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Onyx (Lux, #2)
Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
For Ages 13+
Young Adult -- Science Fiction
Entangled Teen -- August 2012
Ebook, 416 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Aliens, Opposites Attract, Small Town Setting, Love Triangle

SUMMARY
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.

FIRST LINE
Ten seconds passed between when Daemon Black took his seat and when he poked me under my shoulder blade with his trusty pen.

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review will contain spoilers for the first book in the series, Obsidian.  You can view my review of that book here.

~Introduction
I am really falling for this series!  The character development, romantic tension, world building, and suspense are all top-notch.  Onyx is definitely a worthy installment to what is shaping up to be an amazing story.  The last time we saw book blogger Katy and alien Daemon, they were dealing with the fact that they are connected due to Daemon's healing powers.  This has caused some pretty big changes in Katy's life and she is handling it the way I think most teenage girls would...not very well.  Unfortunately, they don't have much time to try to figure out what type of relationship they have since the Department of Defense has gotten wind of the strange events in Petersburg, West Virginia and are snooping around.

~Characters
One of my favorite things about JLA's writing is the way that she develops her characters.  They are all on some type of a journey and it is a blast to see how they are changed on it.  Daemon was pretty much a jerk in the first book, but I thought he really matured in Onyx.  He is falling hard for Katy and learning how to deal with this feelings beyond arrogance and snark.  His romantic side comes out in this one and I loved every minute of it.  In terms of Katy, I still like and admire her, but I thought she made some stupid decisions in this book.  Hopefully, the consequences will make her think twice in the next installment.

I am not the biggest fan of love triangles so I was predestined to be irritated by Blake's appearance and the way he disrupts the Katy/Daemon dynamic.  But, I thought his story was pretty interesting and he was much more developed than the classic "new guy here to cause tension in the main couple" trope.  I hope we get to see more of him in the rest of the series and figure out exactly what his true goals are.  It was also great to see more interaction with Daemon's sister, Dee, and the other Luxen siblings, Andrew, Ash, and Adam.  Community is obviously very important to the Luxen and I loved any scene where they all hung out together.

~Plot and World Building
I loved the way that JLA ramped up the danger in this installment.  The Department of Defense is definitely something for the Luxen to worry about...on top of the always threatening Arum.  I liked this little wrinkle in the overall story line and think it really provides a balance.  I also continue to love how complex the world of the Luxen is and the way that JLA is slowly revealing the key details.  They are just so mysterious and there is so much more to learn about them...and their feud with Arum. 

~Conclusion
Really really enjoyed this one!  I love the way it moves the series plot forward while still keeping the humor and romance going.  I also applaud JLA for taking risks with her characters that may not always be popular with readers, but are essential for the story line.  Can't wait to continue!


4 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTES
**"I could always give you a teaser. You bookish people love teasers, don't you?"

**Daemon was a total babe, but he was stab-worthy, which at times zeroed out the babe part. Not always, though.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Shadows
1. Obsidian
2. Onyx
3. Opal
4. Origin

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of love triangles either, so Blake wasn't my favorite.

    Oh, and I agree, Katy made some really stupid decisions in Onyx. That frustrated me SOOOO much. Can't wait to see what you thought of Opal!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.